How to find a lost chicken in the dark

safarichick101

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
College Station TX
So my sister locked the chickens out of their coop (stupid) and we have to lock them up every night because of raccoon problems and I managed to get every chicken in except Laurel. Our faverolle hen. She is missing and I'm worried she got dehydrated because my dumb sister locked the water in in the morning. All the others were roosting on a bench but she was nowhere to be found. My dogs protect them but I was wondering if you had any methods for locating a chicken in the dark. Please help because all my chickens (especially Laurel) are loved like family. My parents are at a party and the nubs don't have fones and my grandmas at church and I need help URGENT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look in the lower branches of bushes and trees in your yard/near the coop with a flashlight. If my hens get scared at night, that is where they will roost if they cannot find/get to the coop.

Good luck!

Other than searching with a spotlight or flashlight, I don't know what to tell you. Look really closely because after dark the chickens will lay in the grass or perch in the bushes/trees. They are hard to spot and won't move. Sure hope you find her!

I don't have a bright flash light because my parents are too frugal to invest in a a good flash light. Please help because I don't know what to do. I'm the oldest and my grandma is busy making an "important" long distance phone call with a friend to tell about how we're missing a chicken... GRRRRRRRRR! I love that chicken and the coons don't come every night but this is texas and the weather is nice tonight for a hunt. I know she would live if they didn't find her. But I just worry about if they DID.

Edited to remove personal info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go out and look in the trees, on fences, on anything they can fly up on sleep.
What ype are they? if they are silkie and polish then also look low.

I know it's upsetting, but try not to get in a panic. Just look for her the best you can; that's all you can do. If it makes you feel any better, I had one who was chased by a dog, and she disappeared for a week. We live in the middle of 270 acres of woods, and thought she was a goner. She showed up one morning trying to get into the run; managed a week in the woods without getting eaten by raccoons, coyotes, or foxes, all of which live around here. They can surprise you sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom