how to find out if it's legal or illegal to have chickens?

MamaChic21

Songster
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Jackson, NJ
We live in Jackson NJ new development and have close to 4 acres of property. I've been searching the internet to find out if it's illegal in our town to have chickens/ducks in our backyard, but unable to find out anything. I don't want to call the zoning department and alarm them. How else can I find out if it's legal or illegal ?

Last edited:
Unless there is someone on here who is from Jackson, the only thing you can do is check at the Zoning Department. If it helps, most Zoning Departments really don't target people based on what they ask, since they are so overwhelmed anyway
smile.png

Most of them don't say anything unless someone complains

§ 67-2. Regulations.

In any zone in the Township of Jackson wherein the keeping of horses or other livestock is allowed, the following regulations shall be complied with:

A.A lot or parcel of at least 45,000 square feet shall be required for the keeping of horses, ponies or other similar livestock.

B.Within the pasture or field there must be provided a barn or similar three-sided lean-to with a roof to provide shelter for the horses, ponies or similar livestock. This barn or similar three-sided lean-to with a roof must yield a minimum of 80 square feet per horse or pony or animal unit. This eighty-square-foot shelter minimum requirement per horse, pony or animal unit is in addition to any other footage required by this section.

Now does this mean I can keep my chickens and ducks ? :)) You need a dictionary to understand legal terms. But I think I'm allowed

Last edited:
Quote:
It sounds like it's a zoning issue. What type of zone is your property in? Once you figure out the type of zone, then you can research what is allowed in that zone.

Here are zoning regulations for R-2, R-3, and R-5 residential:

§ 109-44. R-2, R-3 and R-5 Residential Zones. [Amended 8-13-2001 by Ord. No. 36-01]
A.Permitted principal uses of buildings and structures are as follows:
(1)Community residences for the developmentally disabled. [Amended 3-10-2003 by Ord. No. 4-03]
(2)Community shelters for victims of domestic violence. [Amended 3-10-2003 by Ord. No. 4-03]
(3)Detached single-family dwelling units.
(4)All farm and agriculture activities, horses, livestock and poultry raising.
(5)Municipal parks, playgrounds and other such municipal buildings and uses as are deemed appropriate and necessary by the Township Committee.
(6)Federal, state, county and other public buildings and grounds, including public schools, parks, playgrounds or other public recreational uses or areas.
(7)Private or parochial schools not operated for profit; except, however, that public and private colleges or universities shall not be permitted.
(8)Essential services.
B.Permitted accessory uses of buildings and structures are as follows:
(1)Dog pens, provided that they are located behind the rear building line and not in the required side or rear yard setback for the respective zone.
(2)Farm buildings for the storage of farm animals, farm products or farm equipment or for the processing of farm products, and which are located on the same premises as the principal use or building.
(3)Farm markets for the sale of produce and farm products grown or raised on the premises.

(4)Fences and walls, subject to the provisions of § 109-170.

I've read and pasted the land use regulations and I think I'm allowed.
I already have 3 ducks, 4 roosters, and 13 chickens but just wanted to make sure that it's not illegal so that if the names ever come, I could say I'm allowed to have them. I don't have to be in fear that I'll get a knock on the door saying you can't have them ! The neighbors aren't that close to one another, actually you can build another a house or two in bewteen them. I just wanted to know if I have the right.
P.S The neigbors that know I have chicken, I gave them fresh eggs to bribe them :))

Thanks everyone

It looks like there is no zoning problem for keeping poultry on a four acre lot. You had better check your development's covenants and any deed restrictions you may have.

i was worried about whether chickens were legal or not......looked into it online....my town had their ordinance online....i found out they were illegal and said
tongue.gif
.....asked a couple of my neighbors if they would mind...they didn't....i got chickens! 4 to start out with last year, everythings going great....SOOOO....more are coming this spring! i DO have a privacy fence though, i think that helps!
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom