How to find Silver Fox rabbits...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Wolf-Kim, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    So, I was looking around at different rabbit breeds and just fell head over heels for those beautiful Silver Fox rabbits. I would like some, but I just can't seem to find any local. Any suggestions? I've skimmed the ag classifieds and local classifieds, the ARBA list doesn't have any SF breeders in NC, but I mean "someone" has to have them.

Also, does anyone have any personal experience with them? I'm interested to show and breed for utility. I appreciate all the help. [​IMG]

Can you ship rabbits? I bet that is "very" expensive and stressful on a rabbit. But if I can't find local breeders then I may have to do something like that to obtain them. The closest breeders listed in ARBA were in SC, we even have a mountain house in VA and there weren't any SF breeders listed up there. [​IMG]

-Kim

2. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I remember when I was looking at importing rats, rabbits were available as well from the same breeder. There was the $130 plane ticket for the cargo per carrier, then vet health certificate, a special carrier ($30 for rats, but could hold more than one) plus the cost of the critter(s). Cheaper than driving across the country, but not cheap. But, that was a good 8 years ago, so the prices would have jumped a good bit I'm sure.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  3. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    There is some here on Craigslist here in Idaho. I personally never shipped rabbits but have freinds who do all the time.

4. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    Go toa rabbit show. You shoul dbe able to find silver fox at one of them. Though just beware, they are a rare breed.

5. BarbK

BarbK Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    You could contact a breeder and see if anyone is going to a show that could bring it. I have a breeder that may bring a rabbit all the way from Cali in 2011.

6. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Shipping rabbits isn't cheap, but is an option. They usually handle it very well.

Silver Foxes are a rare breed, so you may have some trouble finding them. I would still recommend going to a local show if you have one nearby, since it's always possible there's a breeder in your area who isn't a member of the breed club.

Also, check and see if there are any Yahoo groups for rabbit breeders in your area, or at least join the Showbunny group. You can ask there if there are any breeders in your state, and someone more local to you might know of someone!

7. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Kim,
    Pm me with your state and I can put you in contact with breeders in or near your area,
    I raise silver fox and honestly they are one of the best, frustrating, sweet, puppy like rabbits going.

also you can join this Yahoo group and talk with breeders on there. they are always m ore than willing to go the extra mile to incorperate new breeders, there are some very nice deals on these rabbits especially for new breeders.
    we need more people to get intersted in the Fox rabbit.
    numbers are up but we are not off the Endangered list as yet.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/SilverFoxRabbits/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Silver-Fox-Rabbit-Club-Official/134241231995?v=app_2347471856

glad too see more interest in these beautiful rabbits.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Pictures please?

9. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] I so love you right now! [​IMG]

10. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Gypsy,

Do you know if there will be any at the rabbit show coming up next week near Atlanta? My family will be going to that one and I'd really love to see some Silver Fox in person.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by