How to "finish" feeding Cornish X Rocks

chickenmama22

Songster
12 Years
Aug 29, 2007
When I was at the feed store the other week, they said something about "finisher" for turkeys. I have 26 6-week old Cornish X ROCKS that will be "frozen" in a couple of weeks. I am supposed to switch their food at some point? I've read something about feeding corn for the last week to add fat. Is that what I should do? They are probably eating a LOT of 20% Flock Raiser these days. I may switch them to a lower protein with their next bag. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!
Nancy

Personally I don't do any finishing. As soon as my bunch gobbles up the last of their starter/grower food, off they go to the table. Why would you want more fat on them anyways? They do have a decent amount on them already. I also skin my birds too so I lack that appreciation of a crispy chicken crust. Although chicken skin does sound good. It's faster to skin.

Silkie, I take it they already have fat on them? I have only prepped one cornish for the table and I don't remember if she had a lot of fat. The dual purpose roosters we had certainly did not.

Do you know much food they eat before 6 or 8 weeks? Mine will probably go through at least 75 pounds next week (if I let them... I have 26). Does that sound right?

Thanks for the help!
Nancy

Uh, well, I am headed out at the moment but I can raise 4 Cornishx to about 5-6 lbs dressed each, with two layer pullets on the side per 50 lb bag of feed. Figure dressed is about 75% of live weight.

If you have that many, I'd start butchering now if you don't have a processor lined up. I can do at most 8 a day myself. And that's with skinning them. These will have fat on them.

Good point about starting soon on the butchering! I do have friends who are begging to help. They want the experience. I think I must have odd friends.
lol.png
I might do a few on Friday. I think my hands would get tired of plucking after 4 of them.

Thanks for the food consumption info. I'll try to do the math
smile.png

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom