How to fix an incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dragonchick, Aug 5, 2009.

1. dragonchick

dragonchick Songster

Sep 30, 2007
    Several years ago I bought a Styrofoam still air incubator with the intention of hatching some eggs. Well life happened and I wasn't able to use it. I stored it in a closet that unbeknownst to me had a family of mice living in it. Said mice chewed a hole in the edge of the incubator that went all the way through. The hole is about 1" diameter and the edge of the bator has been chewed down to where its pretty thin. Can I put duct tape over the hole and have the bator usable or is it beyond hope?

I suppose if worse comes to worse I could take all the innards out of the damaged bator and put them into an cooler for a new one.
    Andi

2. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Songster

EASIEST way to fix it is :
    just mail it to me (I'll pay shipping) [​IMG]

SERIOUSLY,.... I would cut some pieces of duct-tape the size you need.

THEN, get some of that "spray insulation foam" at a hardware/lumber store.

Place the tape on ONE side.spray a "little bit" of this foam in and tape it up quickly with the matching piece of duct-tape on the opposing side. (Don't use much of the foam spray stuff.it EXPANDS like crazy when it is curing!)

IF, after trying this , you find that you've not accomplished what you want.........PARTS are available from GQF Mfg. Co. for hovabator.

But I think the "spray-foam" idea will WORK !
    (haven't personally used it for THIS, but have used it for similar repairs!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]-Junkmanme-[​IMG]

3. dragonchick

dragonchick Songster

Sep 30, 2007
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have Duct tape (everyone should have at least a dozen rolls) and low expanding foam so I will give it a shot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: