1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to fix hole in hovabator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrs_ed, Nov 29, 2011.

1. mrs_ed

mrs_ed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Phx, AZ
    ive been trying to figure out the best way to fix my hovabator that either my little boys got too or the chickens, it has holes! one of the corners is missing a fairly large chunk so much that even when the top is on there is still an inch gap, what can i use to fix it? duct tape? some kind of aquarium sealant? or is the best thing a whole new one? i really dont want to buy a new one so any suggestions would be great thanks!

2. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Are all the holes in the bottom? I believe you can buy replacement bottoms, that's probably the easiest way to go. Being just foam they should be pretty cheap. [​IMG]

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If you don't want to buy a new one you could try expanding foam on the 'missing' corner, then get a very sharp craft knife and cut it back to the correct shape. Then duct tape over it to make it splashproof. That should work fine.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
  5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well, each to their own, but I use it quite a bit (including a horribly messy incident some years ago with an exploding can of the stuff that got stuck in great globs to my face, eyebrows, hair, and even up my nose!) ...and it hasn't killed me yet.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:That's never good. I didn't mean it in a way as to I never you use. I used it to fill some gaps at the bottom of the coop. Chickens seem to love it, had to cover up as soon as sprayed, never got on my face. I think in a bator with moisture and babys that it might seep through eggs. I don't know. Could be wrong.
    Michele

7. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. mrs_ed

mrs_ed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Phx, AZ
    a replacement for 12 bucks now i can do that! thanks everyone!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by