How to fix Resin shed overheating problems

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
I bought a Suncast resin shed to use as a coop. It is the one in the picture attached. I have cut 8 windows into the shed (four on the windward side, 2 on the downwind side, and 2 on the back). Right now our temperature is in the 50s during the day, but it is over 90 degrees inside the shed! How is it getting so hot in there? I don't think it will be inhabitable during the summer, where we often get highs between 90-100 degrees F.

I'm thinking about spray painting the roof white. Is there anything else that would help keep it from getting so hot?

browns-tans-suncast-plastic-sheds-bms4900-e1_600.jpg

Can you take the doors off and replace them with a wire wall?

You might put up a shade structure. I have a cheap picnic fly over my coop since I couldn't put it into a shady spot until after the house was placed on the property.

1593040745616-png.2210915
Pop up canopy is a good idea, thank you. Do you leave it up all year round or just during summer?

I'll second (or third?) the shade recommendation. I have a plastic coop, too, (omlet) and deep shade helps keep it to a reasonable temp in the summer. I've also heard of people using attic fans, etc. to help move hot air out, so maybe something like that...?
are you using a canopy for deep shade? i know Omlet coops are popular so i bet lots of people have solved this problem already. i'm looking at some solar powered fans on amazon to put in one of the windows too

Back
Top Bottom