how to fool a trap smart coon

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Rooster#3, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Rooster#3

Rooster#3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    wisconsin
    i thought there might be a coon around so i set my live trap it got the bait corn and peanutbutter out and licked the peanutbotter out. anny help with catching this rascal [​IMG]

2. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    When i get those I tie a few fish heads in the trap with tie wire. They almost always trip the trap fighting to get it.

3. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Those little bandits are smart [​IMG] The fish-heads sound like a great idea. What would you do with one after you caught it? Hat anyone?

4. 1acrefarm

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Dogs chickens and cats get a good meal.

5. weirdmuse

weirdmuse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    I've also used the crawfish scent spray from a sporting goods store in the fishing dept. This seems to drive them nuts!

6. ErieSpurs

ErieSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Elyria, OH
    My trick that has worked well for me is multiple traps. I used to use foot traps when havaharts would not work. But they soon learned how to flip the trap over and walk past it, or would just step over it.

What I did was put one trap in plain view in front of a bowl of food. Inside the food I place another trap that is slightly dusted with food making it hard to see. The coon would step over the first trap and think it was in the clear, but would get caught in the second trap.

If you prefer using havahart traps, I've heard a great bait to use is a dough ball made out of molasses and bread. You make it similar to one you would use for carp fishing.

You mix slices of bread with molasses (or something sweet) till you can roll it into a ball. Press the ball flat on the trigger or far back into the trap. The coon cannot easily pull the dough out of the sides, and it has to go in and work at it. Since it has to work harder to get the bait, instead of just reaching in and running, there is a better chance you can catch it.

Good Luck

7. FortWorthChicks

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Quote:Dogs chickens and cats get a good meal.

I always thought those coon skin caps were cool lol

8. 1acrefarm

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Maybe I will learn how to make one of those hats someday. I bet if you had enough hides they would be good for a blanket.

9. FortWorthChicks

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Oh my I would loveeeeee a coon skin blanket for camping. Although.. while camping the little bandits always come calling and find me wearin their cousins lol.

10. Rooster#3

Rooster#3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    wisconsin
    sorry for the duplicate how does that happen

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by