1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to free range if I feed wild birds?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by backintime, May 5, 2008.

1. backintime

backintime Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    We have a permanent wild bird feeding station set up on our deck. Should the ground beneath be permanently off-limits to free ranging chickens? Even if i rake it, I'm sure a lot of debris and organisms will remain. [​IMG] What do the rest of you free rangers do about the bird feeder situation?

2. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    I've never worried about it much. The wild birds fly into the run sometimes too, so really no way around contact between them and the chickens in my situation.

3. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I think this is a great question! I too am worried about the same thing. I really enjoy feeding the wild birds but I love my chickens! I hope I don't have to choose. (It'd definately be the chickens)

Hope more replys come in on this topic!

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I feed my wild birds in the front yard and the chickens have the back yard.
    The wild birds NEST in the backyard, though...

5. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    Same here, wild birds fly into the coop/run and my chickens have even visited my bird feeding station before with no ill effects.

6. backintime

backintime Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thanks, all. I guess I will stop worrying about it. I'll definitely try to "herd" the chickens to the other side of the house when I let them out, but from what I read here, chickens are way too smart for such tactics! I was mostly worried about whether an area of concentrated bird droppings would be a health threat to the chickens. Even though we rake the area, the soil is most certainly full of ?????? Any other opinions out there?

7. imprimis

imprimis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    The Thumb, MI
    Quote:I just wanted to give you a "Howdy" from Sanilac county!

8. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    Quote:I just wanted to give you a "Howdy" from Sanilac county!

Hi Fellow thumber!! [​IMG] I'm from Huron County [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  9. cath

cath Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    South Wales, UK
    I have also had my concerns and I feed the wild birds from a bird table. My girls gather round the bottom of the bird table picking up anything that the wild birds drop, and the wild birds often get into my run too. Ive never had a problem so far, but its nice to know others have the same concerns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by