How to free range........

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rooster brandon., Sep 15, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    How do i free range if my neighbor has 40 free ranging chickens................and how do i know if they will come back........And my neighbor just doesent care where his chickens go they go a mile into thick woods with foxes raccoons coyotes he doesent cate if they are three houses over and if a chicken gets attacked and dies he just leaves it there to stank.............If i free range my chickens will the to flocks get mixed in together with each other.......help i dont know.......please help i feel bad to see my chickens just watching the other chickens free range........please help........[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Yes they probably will get together, but yours may still come home to roost. How large a run do you have? Could you just enlarge their run instead? I don't know that it would be a good idea to let yours free range with his...due to them going in the woods, etc. It just depends on how many you have and can you deal with losing any to predators. If they do get together as a flock, his might come eat your feed that you have out for your chickens...just a thought.

3. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    i only have 4 chickens and no offense to him all his coop is a wooden box 1 ft by 1 ft box!![​IMG] that guy is mean to his chickens........my coop is like 10 foot long and 5 ft wide i plan on making it bigger soon........[​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Truthfully, I wouldn't allow mine to get near his. It's could be a disease problem. He needs to keep his at home and you need to keep yours home. They can still free range, but there needs to be a barrier of some kind.

5. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    thank you and god bless........[​IMG]

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I see the woods as a safe place for chickens, since daytime predators are mainly hawks. However, in regard to your neighbor's chickens - especially if you think they're being raised poorly, i would recommend fencing in your property so your girls can "free range" on your range without interlopers. Like SP said, you don't know what his flock has.

7. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

Well you do have a problem!!!
    The two flocks will mix and your girls will learn some habits from your neighbor's chickens.
    I understand your concern about your girls watching the neighbors' chickens free range while they have to stay within a fence.
    If you let your girls out you run the risk of some of your girls forgetting they are YOUR girls.........but then, if you provide a good home for your chickens, then some of your neighbor's chickens might decide they want to live at your place. [​IMG]

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would get myself a roll of 4 foot or 5 foot chicken wire and fence my peeps in, if I were you!

9. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Thanks guys........I will do that....[​IMG] i feel better................and you people right.........Oh and god bless........[​IMG]

10. savila009

savila009 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    My neighbors are the same way. I havent had any problems with mine. They seem to stay pretty close.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by