How to freerange chicks when it rains?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hokankai, Aug 19, 2010.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    My girls are 6 weeks old and LOVE to run around our backyard. It's been such great weather, warm and dry, but today it decided to rain. How should I give the chicks time out of the brooder when the ground is wet and it's drizzly outside? I tried setting up a tarp but it hasn't worked out too well with our backyard setup.

Any ideas from you Pacific Northwesterners? I feel terrible not letting them out today since they didn't get time out yesterday and won't this weekend... [​IMG]

2. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    As long as they are feathered, I would put them out anyway. Mine go out during the summer, rain or shine, after 4 weeks or so.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed. My chicks were out in a bad but brief thunderstorm the other day. They learned real quick how to find shelter.

4. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    my birds love the rain

5. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    ok great! i was worried they might get chilled or something because it's only in the 60s right now, but i think i'll stick them outside anyway. they are getting really antsy!

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have my youngest chicks (4 weeks old) outside in the 50 degree mornings. I let them out around 7 or 8 in the morning. I just leave the heat lamps on until it feels warmer. They come and go from their coops as they wish to warm up. The lights are on all night, though.

They LOVE to get outside in the cool morning air to get bugs and grass. Then they go back inside the coop, do a little huddle, and come back out. On and on.

[​IMG]

7. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    My girls were in their run/coop last week during a quick (but loud) thunderstorm when I was away. When I got back, by Welsummer hopped up on my knee and gave me a really good talking to about not warning them. However, they had apparently gone in the coop because they were all dry.

Quote:Agreed. My chicks were out in a bad but brief thunderstorm the other day. They learned real quick how to find shelter.

8. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    You don't really call that rain do you?!?!?! They LOVE drizzly!

9. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    You don't really call that rain do you?!?!?! They LOVE drizzly!

Haha yeah not really. I was more wondering whether or not to worry about them getting chilled from the wet grass. They ended up loving it, but loved it more once the sun finally melted the overcast clouds [​IMG]

10. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Mine-various ages- go out in the rain and are just fine. They can just go back in if they want...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by