how to gather up chicks to move them

Tamma

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 2, 2012
Adkins, TX
I have four 3 week old polish chicks. I want to start taking them outside (to a pen) when the weather is warm during the day. They got loose a couple of days ago and they were freaking out with me trying to catch them even though they love my hand and sit on it all the time. My enclosure for them is also too big to reach across when I am trying to pick them up.
Can anyone provide a suggestion for luring them into a box or something for the transport inside to outside and back? The enclosure outside is 10 x 20 so chasing them around is going to be a disaster.
Thanks for any suggestions.

I usually just try to find a snack they adore, and then keep it in reserve for whenever I need to lure them close enough to be grabbed. :) Chopped up hard boiled egg, dried mealworms, and cornbread are all big favorites with my chickies.

They get mealworms occasionally but I think I will try the boiled egg just for catching and transporting. I was planning on using a cat carrier. Wish me luck.
hmm.png

I use a fishing net. It slips right over them and you can slowly drag them to you to catch them. Or as i used to do, i would leave they out until thwy start to snuggle in to sleep very easy to catch then too.

Okay, what follows is why people think I'm insane. Like cat lady... only with chickens.

I train my chicks to come when called and to STAY WITH ME! I start with my day olds, every time I feed them I call them, chikckickchik. Anything tasty I give them as snack I call them, chikchickhik and poke it with my finger really fast because that makes them think I've found the tastiest new thing ever (trains them what to eat like mom would). I handle them constantly, which is tough on my hands with all that washing. And when I take them out I make them stand between my legs at first. Shooing them back between my shoes and squealing like a hen would. They get the picture after a few minutes.

Repeat.

By the time they hit the coop I can't walk in the yard for all the chicks grappling at my feet.

It's crazy. I'm aware its crazy. I know I sound and look like a fool. But you know what? My chicks come when called and follow me into their enclosures.

don't judge me! lol.

Also, chicks and chickens loves spaghetti and red grapes. Mine will do just about anything for those.

Last edited:
Haha! I love this. I would love to see a video of you and your chickies. ;)

I do the chikchikchik thing too (though I say it more like chookchookchook I guess), and poke at the food with my finger. I figure I am just imitating momma hen, the chicks catch on very early. I also tend to give them treats on the same little green tray all the time, so I can wave that green tray around without making the noise and they still come running. Heh!

A large fishing net would probably work really well for outside. I'm going to sit on the ground first and see if I can get them to come in for a couple of worms. Wish me luck...

I would do exactly this if I could. It sounds wonderful and I'm crazy about my chickens. I have 3 red sex link that are a year old. And 4 Polish chicks almost a month old.
My 3 older girls think I hung the moon. I have always done the chickchickchick thing when giving them treats. They are always under foot and come running when they hear the back door open. They will follow me wherever I want. When I first put them in the coop I spent a lot of time in there with them socializing. These new polish have been a heartache. I lost 2 of the six. They are on tetracycline, electrolytes and vitamins now and seem to be doing ok. And they're a lot flightier than my hens. Much less calm. Hopefully, I can integrate them like your chicks. I actually love trying not to trip over chickens. They're so sweet. Spaghetti sounds hilarious. Have to try it. Thanks for the post.

Back
Top Bottom