How to gen puss out of Roo wattle.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GhettoRoo, Dec 15, 2014.

1. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    [​IMG]
    So, there is a pic where you dont gonna understand anything.
    But the thing is, he have caked puss in wattle , like 0.5 square inches size/1square cm
    And a square mm, little hole, from where I squeeze out a bit of puss. Before I try to draw out what i can with smth small.
    He got biten in wattle before 3 months, when wattles was 2x smaller.
    Question: How to get it out.. Thru skin its not able, i guess. So thru that little hole probably. Puss is consolidated.
    Mby somehow make puss luiqid and squeeze out..

2. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I haven't done this before, but it sounds like you may want to place a warm compress on his wattle several times a day to help the abscessed area "come to a head." A drawing salve such as ichthamol may possibly also help, but I haven't used one. I would think the wattles would bleed a great deal if lanced before you try squeezing it again, so I would have some flour, blood stop powder, or styptic pencil at the hand. Puss after time in chickens hardens into a waxy kernel, so it may take a larger opening. As always, if a vet is available, that would be best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by