How to gender quail/Quail suddenly crying all night

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Jenbunni, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Jenbunni

Jenbunni In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2017
    I've written a thread before about my button who didn't seem too happy about her habitat, so I moved her to a different one. However, since the move she has become very vocal. As in all. Night. Long. I am planning to move her back or into a different setting where she might be more cozy. I'm wondering if it's possible she's cold, but it's only around 72 degrees Fahrenheit in the house, and not very cold. Although there are fans in the room.

The new habitat does have less depth for burrowing, so I'm wondering if she is missing that and that is the reason she is crying?

But...I also have another problem. I have had my button for a year and it has never laid eggs, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe it was misgendered. It has recently gone through a bit of a growth spurt and its call has sounded deeper, less like the female calls I've heard on YouTube. I got the quail from a pet store, adopted only because it was attacked by its "mate" a male, and by another pair of quails. So it had some injuries when I took it in, and was a lone quail because they weren't sure if the aggression it had been subjected to might cause it to harm other birds. I'm now starting to wonder if my quail was misgendered, and was possibly attacked by its "mate" because of too many males in one enclosure. I'm not sure how to tell the difference outside of egg laying and calls, however.

The coloring on my quail is a brown and white speckling with some white and brown underfeathers. I'm not sure if coloring helps with telling gender. It would be helpful if someone might know something to help out.

2. Jenbunni

Jenbunni In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2017
    Thank you for the information. My quail does seem larger and the cry is more like a laughing sound than a long call. So I am guessing they were right in the idea that I have a female. Now if only I can figure out why she won't stop calling out suddenly. She used to make small noises, and talk with me but she didn't cry almost nonstop like she suddenly is...

3. thumper29a

thumper29a Songster

Jan 30, 2012
    Coldwater MI
    Maybe she would like a male friend. I don't know much about buttons. But my coturnix only have a life expectancy of 2 and a half years. Maybe she coming to the end. But I'm guessing she's lonely and that is just a quess. As im just learning about quails myself

4. thumper29a

thumper29a Songster

Jan 30, 2012
    Coldwater MI
  5. Jenbunni

Jenbunni In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2017
    I wanted to give her a mate, but the reason I adopted her was because her mate at the pet shop tried to kill her, along with two other quails. All 3 were pecking at her head. And I'm worried about what might happen should I introduce her to a male. Would they get along? Would she respond with violence? And I got her from a different state, I haven't found any buttons here.

6. Jenbunni

Jenbunni In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2017
    I know it says that they may live longer if they don't lay eggs, because laying eggs depletes some of the nutrition they need. Honestly, I just want her to be happy in an environment/enclosure that she enjoys. I am sad to think of the short lifespan, but I adopted her because the shop she was at was planning on putting her down (probably not in the most humane way either) because she no longer had a mate since he had rejected her and attacked her...

7. DK newbie

DK newbie Songster

Apr 20, 2015
    The life expectancy for button quail hens is around 4 years - for males it's 6 years.
    She is most likely crying because she doesn't feel safe, and she probably doesn't feel safe because she's alone. That's also why she's not laying (assuming she is a she - try posting some good pictures of her) - they don't lay when stressed. The stress from being alone can actually kill them.
    As to what will happen if you introduce a mate to her, that depends on the personality of both birds. You can do different things to improve the chances of success, such as introducing them to each other in a place that's new to both of them, give them plenty of space and cover, possibly introducing them through a layer of wire for the first week or so - but even then some birds just don't like each other.
    Try craigslist when searching for a partner for her. Local pet shops might have them as well.

JaeG, thumper29a and bajabirdbrain like this.
  8. Jenbunni

Jenbunni In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2017
    Okay, this is my button. A close up pic so maybe others may be able to help. I found someone with adult buttons I can go and get and introduce mine to, but I would like some opinions on gender before I decide on what bird to get from him.

Attached Files:

9. Jenbunni

Jenbunni In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2017
    Thank you for the suggestion, I found someone who had buttons with a bit of a drive, but they have adults and chicks and I am very happy to have the possibility to maybe cure its loneliness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by