How to get a brooder to take to a new nest and coop?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jungleexplorer, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    Before I ask my question, let me just say that I think all forum search functions are useless. I bet my question has been asked a thousand times here, but when I used my title as a search phrase all I got was meaningless results that had nothing to do with my question. Every forum I have ever been on is the same way though. I just said that to let you know that I did search before posting.

Here now is my question and situation. I have a flock of simi-free range chickens for eggs. They are in a large divided pen and I plant grains in the pens that are not in use for future forage. They are mostly R.I.Rs with a few other breed mixed in. It is time to raise a new flock and I want to hatch out some of my eggs. But my nest are designed in a way that the chickens lay eggs on the inside of the coop and the eggs roll to the outside of the coop. Even so, when my hens go broody, they try to sit in these nest and usually end up breaking the eggs trying to keep them from rolling out.

Anyway, I have an old A-frame greenhouse I want to use as my brooder house and have made some nice nest out 5-gallon buckets. I have two hens that are currently broody and I want to move them to the new coop and nest and put some eggs under them to hatch out. I have tried moving broody hens before with no success. I have had hens that were broody for months, but that would not set anywhere but in the regular nest I mentioned before. I there a trick to getting a hen to take a new nest?

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    It certainly won't hurt to move the broody hen.

In most cases hens break their broodiness when moved, but not all.

I would prepare the nest for her and place a bunch of warm eggs inside and allow her to sit on them if she so chooses.

I have moved broody hens to crated areas away from the flock with no problems.

Let us know how it goes!

[​IMG]

3. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    They both broke. I have two nest with eggs in them and they won't even look at them. This happens every time! The funny thing is that if I put them back into the regular pen they usually go back to being broody. Usually I have to keep them locked up without nest for a week before putting them back into the regular pen or they will go back to being broody.

Not sure what to do?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by