How to get a Broody Anconas laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kartay, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Kartay

Kartay Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2016
    I'm having trouble with one of my girls. She started going broody on a nest of rocks (no clue where she found rocks in the barn or HOW she got them in the nest). She stopped laying so I took her rocks away. But then she never left her nest so I took the nest away. (-29 is way too cold for her too be out in the barn with no heat in my opinion). Its been a week since I took away her nest and She's still not laying. Neither has she built another nest. (At least then I could slip my other ducks eggs in there). Anyone one have any tips?

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

She is still broody ....Just because you took the eggs away does not matter.....She will start laying eggs in about six weeks or so?......

Cheers.....;)

3. Kartay

Dec 7, 2016
    Ah crap. If she'd just build a nest I'd let her hatch some eggs. But she picked the absolute worst week to start her prior nest.

4. lovelyduckling

lovelyduckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2016
    You can find a small animal cage and keep her in there and she should quit being broody. Just make sure that the cage you use has a wired bottom and don't put anything soft in with her. I know it sounds cruel but it should work. If you think she might get cold, I would put a heater or heat source of any kind and keep her in a garage or something. Good luck!

5. chickens really

It takes 28 days to hatch eggs...I would of left her and added eggs now....Too bad....Remake her nest and add back her rocks...She might continue.......?

Cheers!

6. Kartay

Dec 7, 2016
    Why the cage? Does she need to be isolated from my other ducks or can she remain in the barn?
    We're in the middle of a Chinook so now we're back in the low minuses, so now I'm not worried about heat. Hopefully spring comes in the next month or so lol.

7. chickens really

No cage is needed......Not a Chicken....it is a Duck....;)

Cheers!

8. lovelyduckling

lovelyduckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2016
    If you were to use a cage it's fine to keep her with the others. No isolation needed. She may be a duck but it can still work! Dang, I wish you would put eggs under her, I want too see baby duck picks! Too bad though!

9. Kartay

Dec 7, 2016
    If it hadnt been so cold I would have left her be. But she wouldn't leave the nest to go in the coop at night. I put straw back in the corner she was nesting in. So hopefully she'll make a new nest. I'm still unsure what the cage is for though?

10. seussiii

seussiii Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2017
    I think people underestimate the cold hardiness of most ducks and ducklings. Even without their mom. I was pretty nervous with my anconas when I first got them. At 2 weeks they went outside overnight at 50 deg+ with no heat. They are 3 weeks old today and have been outside the last 2-3 nights. Temps as low as 37 so far.

I go out in the morning (which is the coldest time frame) and they are happy as can be...splashing around like maniacs...playing. Much warmer than my hands and they are just starting to get their first pin feathers.

Funny thing is... Only issue they had was being afraid of the dark for the first night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by