how to get a chick to drink

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chittyn, Sep 15, 2011.

1. chittyn

chittyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    my chicks have started eating but not drinking yet what should i do ?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Gently put their beaks in the water dish. Once one drinks they all will. Chickie see chickie do.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Dip their beaks in the water 2-3 times until they figure it out. You can also add marbles to the waterer which sometimes encourages them to peck at the marbles and in doing that they learn that the water is there.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Are you sure?
    Before I let them loose in the brooder I always dip each ones beak in the water a couple times and make sure they drink before I let them go. They need to learn what water is and where to find it.
    A red base on the waterer attracts them to it also.
    I use lukewarm water with a little agave nectar in it for some sweetness and energy. Honey or sugar works too.
    good luck

5. chittyn

chittyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    thanks 2 have started 2 drink and eat the others are resting (stressful day ) !

6. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    shove its face in the water

7. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I make sure I offer room-temperature water for a couple of hours before introducing food. It gives the chicks a chance to rehydrate themselves before eating. Each chick gets it's beak dipped in the water at least once. Marbles are in the bottom to keep chicks from drowning. Chicks are not overly active for the first day or two as they are tired from hatching. They can survive without eating (on the yolk that they have absorbed) for a day or two. Once they are perky, I add feed.

8. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Congrats on your chicks!! [​IMG]
    How many hatched? I sat there and tapped the water with a finger for about 5 or 10 mins til they drank, I did the same with the food and now my 3 follow that finger everywhere like a mother hen. [​IMG]

9. Fred694

Fred694 New Egg

Jun 5, 2014
    What is the best way to get a sick chick to drink more ? Also he is pecking at pieces of food but not very much at a time . Is there a way to get the chick to eat more ? I started corid yesterday as soon as I saw a problem & fixed up a box to keep the chick separate from the others . Any help would be appreciated .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by