How to get a Guinea Pig to like/love you??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bleenie, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I recently adopted a baby guinea pig, she's just 5weeks old. She's the most adorable little silver agouti "Abbyruvian". When i brought her home i had 2 female pigs that i had taken in but discovered fast that they Hated the baby. They went to a new home yesterday and i picked up a new friend for her, an adult, mellow, Peruvian. They really get a long well and there's no murderous screaming in the middle of the night anymore [​IMG]

She got used to me holding her a bit the first few nights... when the other girls were beating her up i would remove her from the cage for about an hour. I had to do this multiple times during the nights. She still runs from me in the cage though and i really wanna get to where she'll come up to me for treats and stuff. I just don't know how.

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    bananas. [​IMG]

Hammie knows the word "banana" and will start squealing and run to you from another room [​IMG]
    Can you leave the door open and let her come out on her own? It's pretty common for small animals to not like to be picked up in their "home" but fine with it once they are out.

3. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Treats will definitely help win her heart. [​IMG] Another thing you can do is take your index finger and tap gently on the bridge of her nose three times. That has a calming effect on guinea pigs and will temporarily "hypnotize" or freeze them in place for a few seconds...

4. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Quote:sorry but the first thing that popped into my head when i read the name Hammie was the squirrel from over the hedge
    [​IMG]

But treats, they love treats

P.s i love the sounds guinea pigs make [​IMG]

5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:yup, that's our Hammie lol It's my daughter's favorite movie as well as her nickname at Girl Scout Camp

for the person recommending tapping them on the nose, the freezing sounds more like a fear response than a calming effect? I've never heard that one before.

OP make sure that your piggie gets lots of time out of her cage, esp if it's not a large one. Hammie has a small cage, but he is out more than in. He also likes to go for walks outside. Well, if step, eat, step, eat, step eat is taking a walk! lol

6. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Quote:yup, that's our Hammie lol It's my daughter's favorite movie as well as her nickname at Girl Scout Camp

for the person recommending tapping them on the nose, the freezing sounds more like a fear response than a calming effect? I've never heard that one before.

OP make sure that your piggie gets lots of time out of her cage, esp if it's not a large one. Hammie has a small cage, but he is out more than in. He also likes to go for walks outside. Well, if step, eat, step, eat, step eat is taking a walk! lol

Nope, not fear, it actually just re-routes their focus and they just sit there. I have used this on many skittish guinea pigs and it always works to get them to be still for a few seconds (tap very gently, I am not saying wham them on the nose). [​IMG]

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

She likes being petted on her nose, or when you fix her mohawk [​IMG]. So far the only treat i got her to eat was a carrot(seller said she had those before) and even still i have to scratch her back to get her to take the first nibble [​IMG] .

I think she's getting more used to people though, my nephew met her tonight and was squealing with excitement over her and her cuteness and she didn't seem phased at all. I will try the bananna, maybe she'll really love them ( [​IMG] )

The peruvian on the other hand is a total goober about treats and a big baby, except for being held.. he makes a lot of noise when you try to pick him up or are holding him.. like nervous noises. He was with a lot of kids before so maybe he just was manhandled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by