How to get a hen to open her beak

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LilyLovesBugs, Dec 27, 2011.

1. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    My hen is sick, if you look here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=613320 you can see it, I would like to try to swab her throat with a Q-tip, but I'm not sure how to open her beak, it was hard enough to get it open to squirt some oil down, but to swab her throat?! How do I open her beak?

2. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Quote:With mine, if I hold her like a football cradling her under my arm, reach under the beak with my thumb on one side, forefinger or middle finger on the other, near the base of the beak and very very gently squeeze, eventually she'll open up enough.

If you first stroke her under the throat that generally will calm her down.

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Squeeze her beak at the base -- careful and when it opens slightly pry it open with a finger. It might take some practice. I hope she is better and on the mend very soon.

Jenny

4. LilyLovesBugs

Aug 1, 2011
    Okay, thank you. I will try that

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Pull her wattles down firmly... her mouth will open, and dont let go.

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Do you know which opening is the trachea and which is the esophagus? What happens if the cotton gets stuck or comes apart from the swab? If you're checking for gape worm, how many of the symptoms is she having. Check a video of gape worm in chickens to see if your bird looks anything like that. Gape worm has a fairly consistent presentation.

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Does her crop feel full while she's "choking"?

Sometimes birds will do a movement that sort of looks like a yawn to me, but I guess it could look like choking, to help empty a full crop--they will stretch their neck and sort of gulp, they may do it a few times and then stop. Is it possible this is what your bird is doing? Is she eating? If she is eating, she is not choking on something stuck in her throat or an impacted crop.

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Could be the peanut butter suet, raisins, etc. got stuck in her crop. Avoid feeding sticky foods, keep to regular chicken feed, and see how she does.

Personally, I wouldn't risk sticking a cue tip down a chicken's throat unless I was really sure it was necessary to do something like that.

9. LilyLovesBugs

Aug 1, 2011
    I didn't want to stick a Q-tip down her throat either, only if she continued to get worse. She hasn't choked today, I think she is feeling better. Thanks everyone!

10. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    what dawg53 said....works every time,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by