how to get a single frizzle (or silkie or polish) pullet?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dftkarin, Aug 26, 2008.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    I ordered day old chicks from Ideal Poultry this summer and am loving my 4 pullets (2 BRs, 1 BA, 1 glw) and hopefully they will thrive and I'll stay at my 4 bird limit for years. Is something happened and I could add a bird or two to my little backyard flock, and I wanted to get a frizzle or silkie chick or pullet - how does a regular person get a single young bird like that? I don't seem to have any breeders or hatcheries locally. There are county fairs and if I see any interesting birds there I will ask about buying birds in the future. Is there any way to buy a single sexed specialty chicken?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, if you look for birds in the future to put with the rest, you'd want to get them about the same size as your current ones. Or in other words, get a point of lay bird so you don't have to rear a single chick up from day 1 alone.

Craigslist, feed store postings, county fair books of for sale/wanted, and here are often ways people get single pullets.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Check in your area for some chicken shows...people are always selling the birds they no longer want. Were hitting one this Oct [​IMG] can't wait! I'm getting silkies there from a girl here on BYC. Maybe ask around...someone in your area may have some to sell you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by