How to get chickens to go into chicken coop?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sutphindanesnchickens, Feb 16, 2009.

1. sutphindanesnchickens

sutphindanesnchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    NorthofColumbus Ohio
    Just built a new coop and cant get the chickens to go back in...What am i doing wrong...have had to pick them up and put in myself and its getting very time consuming...do i need a bigger door? HELP

2. drs

drs New Egg

Feb 8, 2009
    I had the same problem. I put a light inside and they started going in.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Put them in the coop one time and then lock them in, for at least a few days or even a week. This will train their little brains to consider the coop home.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:What gritsar said......

5. sutphindanesnchickens

sutphindanesnchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    NorthofColumbus Ohio
    Thank You,
    I have had them in there for about 3 days so far and they arent happy bout not getting out to free range. How big should their door be? any specific size? the one i built seems a little small but my big rooster can get his head out then get out...will they not go in if door is to small?
    Thanks

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If it seems a little small, it probably is. They can get fearful of going thru an opening that is too small for fear of being trapped.
    Mine definitely weren't happy about the forced lockdown when they were moved to their permanent coop, but it was the only way to re-train them. Now they free range all day and put themselves to bed at night. All I have to do is go out there to lock the door.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  7. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I'm always having to chase the little buggers inside. They just love being outside, unless it gets really dark, then they'll go in by themselves.

More than once though I've had to trudge out and stick my dripping wet Silkie Pearl in the chicken house because she'll just stand there in the pouring rain like a little goofball.

8. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    [​IMG] Follow Gritstars advice - its what I did with my chickens!

Our door is 13 inches tall and 10 inches wide - it was the scrap of wood I had. The chickens have no trouble. The one roos tail hits but he just acts like the devil has him and runs in or out. [​IMG]

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It is also possible there may be something about the coop that they don't care for or that scares them or causes problems. Like if it is too dark, especially at dusk since chickens have really lousy night vision. Could you post a picture, or describe the coop?

Pat

10. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I had this problem. I removed my outdoor roosts and added a regular white light inside. They always have the red light on when its cold weather. They all go in when it gets dark outside. I go out at like 9 pm and turn off the white light so they will rest.

~Rebecca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by