How to get eggs in Arizona

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ladyliane, Nov 10, 2014.

1. ladyliane

ladyliane New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    I live in Arizona and I would really like to get some sizzle eggs for my daughter to hatch/raise. I cannot find any locally on Craigslist and so I am thinking I'll have to order some. I've never ordered eggs before. How far away is too far away to order eggs? How long will they remain viable away from heat? Anything else I should consider before ordering eggs????

2. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    The distance they travel isn't always as important as how well they are packaged for shipping. Even eggs shipped from nearby could arrive damaged if they are handled to roughly and/or packed poorly. Heat is not a concern until after the eggs have begun incubating (unless it is too hot that is). Storing them at a cooler temperature (but not freezing) will actually help to keep them viable for longer. The fresher the eggs, the more likely they are to be able to withstand the rigors of shipping. So you want to be sure that any buyer you purchase from sends only fresh eggs (should be no more than 3 days old at MOST at time of shipping). There is a Buy, Sell, Trade section on this site where you might be able to find the type of eggs you are looking for. I believe they also have a reputation function, so that you can look at reviews to see if other buyers have been pleased. Good luck!

3. ladyliane

ladyliane New Egg

Oct 27, 2014
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by