how to get flock "togetherness"?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by showbarnmom, Feb 7, 2013.

1. showbarnmom

showbarnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    I introduced 3 new birds to my flock of same age birds. This was Tuesday. I know its too soon, but can I do anything to encourage acceptance?

Currently, the new chicks spend most of their time hiding under my raised coop. They do come out, but get run off by the flock. They come out when I go in the run, and will eat and drink if the others coop up.

They are getting pecked at pretty hard by the other if they do try to mingle. I know it will take time. But is there anything else I can do to help?

(They are 5,6&7 weeks.)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If the others are mature birds, the newcomers are a little young to integrate. As long as they are not being injured, make sure that they are eating and drinking enough and they will eventually assimilate into the flock. Actually what you describe is extremely mild pecking order reshuffling.

Oops, I apologize. Went back to reread your post and note that they are same age birds. All should go well. Just monitor the situation. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  3. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    Thanks :) so far no injuries, and I think its because I introduced a RIR and a silver EE to a flock of black mixes. I also have a roo over load at the moment. Sodiffereny colors probably doesn't help.

Anyway.... I know it'll tale time. I'm just impatient! Lol

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Now may be an excellent time for removing excess roosters from the flock. The disruption caused by their removal may make the acceptance of the new birds go more smoothly.

5. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    I am trying to find them new homes. To small for the freezer, and I'm not quite ready for that lol. I have several people who said they will take them. So just have to see who shows up first. I'm hoping it will help tremendously.

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I've had mixed flocks over the years and have always noticed the birds of kind stick together. Chickens are very racial, for lack of a better description and some breeds tend to be more aggressive than others.

7. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    That also has a role I am sure. 99% sure my flock is game bird mixes. They came from my free range flock at work. Then I added the 3 that had been raised together. The BR usually has no problem in the flock. But the other two do. And even BR and the EE pick on the RIR who was raised up with them. *sigh* dern complicated bird brains.

8. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Yeah, you got some tough birds. Game birds are beautiful but often spastic and aggressive. Even the RIR is a tough breed that can be aggressive compared to others. You have your work cut out for you but I hope it can be sorted out. Let us know how it goes.

9. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I had basically 2 separate flocks in the same coop...There was the younger birds and the older birds. Both ignored the other, but now they are all one big flock. It's better that way. I like seeing all 10 chickens wandering the yard, instead of only the 5 adults leaving the coop, but now all of them come out and scratch and such.

10. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Lots of poultry men/women don't like to mix young and old flocks for health reasons. That doesn't mean it won't work out especially if you haven't had any health issues with the old flock and the new additions are healthy. I have a few hens that chase others away from the feeders, but when I supply enough feeders, they can't control it much and get tired of running back and forth. They eventually settle on one feeder and the others can eat in peace. So long as none of them are injuring the others, I won't have to cull them or separate them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by