1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to get hen to lay in the nest box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Daphne16, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Daphne16

Daphne16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    I am new at this 1 of my 20 week old production reds started laying last weekend I have gotten 5 eggs, but 4 of them have been broken. I check multiple times a day for eggs and to visit with my chickens. All of the eggs have been in the run and not in the nest box, so my question is how do I get her to lay in the nest box and not the run? I feed grower feed with oyster shells on the side right now because I have 11 week olds upto 20 week olds ( a total of 5 hens). They are not freeranged, but are let out for a little while to play with us.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    It may help to put a couple of golf balls in the nesting box to give them the idea. Worked for me.

3. Daphne16

Mar 29, 2011
    I forgot to mention I have golfballs in the nest boxes. [​IMG]

4. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Golf balls, fake eggs Do you know who is laying? And what time of day she is laying? I had one that was doing kind of the same thing every other day between 0900 an 1000 am so I started putting her in the box for about 1.5 hrs everymorning. Did this for 4 days. 1st and 3rd day 1 egg 2nd and 4th no egg and on the 5 day I watched her and at 0915 she went in to the nest box and I went and checked at 0935 and she had layed in the box never had a problem since everyday in the box.... Are they using the oyster shells ? They might be broken because they are soft Mine was laying in the run but very few were broken. I would get them on layer feed asap so they are getting the calcium they need...I know you have mixed ages but but I would get them on the layer. Good luck Keep us posted [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  5. Daphne16

Mar 29, 2011
    I know which one is laying and it is every other day between 1:00 and 4:00. I will put her in at around 12:30 tomorrow and let her out again around 4:30. I will try to do that for a few days.

The shells are about as hard as store bought eggs, they are devouring the oyster shells (1lb in 4 days). I also have been feeding egg shells dryed and crushed to them on the side of their feed. I am going to start mixing the feeds with the layer pellets since I only have about a week or two left of the grower left. I will start that tonight.

thanks for all of the help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by