How to get hen to stop plucking feathers from others

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by imogene08, Oct 5, 2013.

1. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    My poor little polish is getting all beat up from my SLW she plucks out the vent feathers of he polish and she was sleeping on my lap and I could see where all the feathers had been plucked and sole blood but not noticeable she does this to all of them
    But mostly my polish Any idea how I can stop it I can't lock her away somewhere we have no place so how can I help her stop it before it gets way out of hand?!?

2. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    The**

3. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Saw**

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Hen peepers are what you need.

5. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    What are those??

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

They are thingies that keep the hen from being able to look down her beak and zero in on feathers. They can still see to eat drink and live a normal life.

Someone here will post a link for you.

By the way they also work on bully hens. They mess up the pecking order.

I bought mine because of silver laced wyandottes :(

7. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    I guess it just the breed which makes them like that she's a hardy little hen though laying a egg each day and keeping the flock in order :)

8. mholm

mholm New Egg

Oct 24, 2011
    I also have a bully hen who plucks neck feathers on one gentle hen and goes through phases of bum pecking the others. Four months ago I isolated her from the others in an old chick rearing area and also clipped some of her feathers so she looks scruffy. I've heard that a couple of days away from the others and she will lose her status in the pecking order. It worked a few months ago and since lately she is back to her old tricks, I have isolated her again this morning. She sleeps in the chick roost as well.

9. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    I would try that but I have no where to put her:/

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would try the peepers and/or pull her out. That is a nasty habit that can easily lead to much worse damage, even death, to the birds being pecked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by