How to get hens to drink from nipple waterer?

macdoogle2

Songster
12 Years
Apr 3, 2011
San Diego
So I made a nipple waterer with three nipples inserted into a five gallon bucket. It's hanging in the run from a rope and a chain. (had nightmares of chickens hanging out undeneath and the whole thing falling on them) So, how do I get the chickens to drink from the nipples?

I have never used these, but just an idea, what if you put a treat like applesauce on the end of it and showed it to them, they might peck at the treat and find out there's water.

They will figure it out. I use them for all my chickens and they all get it. Just takes one to peck at it and then they get it. If you are concerned, tap on the nipples a few times until they can see the water drip out a little. I do this every day anyways when I check my coops just to make sure nothing gets clogged, etc. They never have been, but to me I like to be sure there's water coming out. :)

I couldn't get mine hung before they were pecking at the nipples w/ my big chickens....

I made a 1 nipple one out of a "Milk Chug" bottle that my son threw in the floorboard of my truck for the new 4 week old chicks we brought home. I removed their water font and clicked my finger on the nipple a few times each time I walked to by the coop....within a few hours all 6 peeps were drinking from it. Their curiosity will get the best of them....

Last edited:
Same story here.

They're attracted to the color and peck at it instinctively. When I first hung mine, I tapped the nipples and they stood there watching the watering dripping out. One tried it, then they all tried it. NO PROBLEM! Best thing ever.

Ah... so THAT's why those things are all red... I have two different manufactured sets and was curious...

I was worried about getting mine to drink from the nipples. I put them in satuday and they have been attacking those red nipples since. I almost thought they were an addictive drug...lol. Those chicks are now about 3 months old and every time I looked the were hitting the nipples all day yesterday. I know they are not that thirsty....?

Back
Top Bottom