How to get hens to lay where they should?

SamMiller

Chirping
Oct 23, 2021
I have quite a darn few hens. They're all free-range with about an acre to enjoy. They haven't been laying where they should- and I just can't find where they are laying. They sleep in the coop at night and the nesting box is in there, but I might be lucky to find 3-4 eggs in there at best, when it should probably be more like 10+.

How do I get them to lay where they should? Some are escapees so I sorta get the missing eggs, but others just seem to not being laying where I can find them.

yeah, golf balls is popular (because they look enough like an egg to most hens to do the trick) and of course, there is the old fake egg trick. TSC and other feed stores cell ceramic fake eggs. Usually come in most egg colors, blue, white, brown. You can also find (online) wooden fake eggs. Ive got some of them and they do the trick as well. The ceramic can break real easily.

i usually will put one or two fake eggs in each nesting box, or every other box to show them "hey lay here!!" :clap

Fake eggs is a start, but if several of the birds are just laying willy nilly in the yard area, best to lock them in their run/fence in a run area to retrain them and force them to use the nest locations you've set up.
Yes, this^^^!!!

Hopefully your coop and run is of adequate size to confine them without too much stress.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I’m having this same issue but I have 40acres which they don’t cover all of it but nothing is fenced off.
I set our auto door to delay opening by a few hours and I had more eggs but I still have some holding out and not laying in the coop.
I’m worried however that leaving them locked in with the roosters is going to stress them out rather then help them lay in the boxes.
What do you recommend? I have 2 roosters and 12 Pullets laying each rooster has their own ladies and they were raised together so there is no fighting among the roosters.
Lock them in and observe. My rooster doesn't mess with my layers.

Yes, this^^^!!!

Hopefully your coop and run is of adequate size to confine them without too much stress.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
I’m having this same issue but I have 40acres which they don’t cover all of it but nothing is fenced off.
I set our auto door to delay opening by a few hours and I had more eggs but I still have some holding out and not laying in the coop.
I’m worried however that leaving them locked in with the roosters is going to stress them out rather then help them lay in the boxes.
What do you recommend? I have 2 roosters and 12 Pullets laying each rooster has their own ladies and they were raised together so there is no fighting among the roosters.

Back
Top Bottom