1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to get hens to recognize nesting box!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kmath, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Kmath

Kmath Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    Canada
    All my hens use one beating box when I have 6. 2 rows. Their roosts are on the sides of the coop and one is lower than both nesting boxes and 3 of my girls sleep on that one and the others poop in the higher nesting box. Is there a way I can make a cloth door so they recognize it as only a nesting box. I don't have the ability to move all the boxes around ( I converted an old shed into a coop)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Chickens sleep as high as possible. As long as the nests are higher than the roosts, they'll sleep in them.

3. Kmath

Kmath Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    Canada
    Here's a picture[​IMG] the top has been changed since the pic I added a ledge to perch on and hay

4. Kmath

Kmath Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    Canada
    . Well my girls don't all seem to get that msg. Like I mentioned 3 sleep on the one roost and it is lower than both boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by