How to get her to stay in the nesting box to layt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by littlestars17, Oct 25, 2010.

1. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    So one of my two easter eggers began laying last week, I heard Nutmeg doing an egg song but I am truly thinking it is hotdog that is laying(shes jyust quiet) and I think nutmeg was singing for her?? Is this possible first of all lol- I guess anything is possible but does it happen often?
    Secondly, The first blue egg was hidden far far back where I can hardly reach behind an old dead log in the chicken yard- The following day I left all the girls locked in hoping to teach her to lay in the coop(ok and we were going out of town lol) Today she is back behind the darn log lol- How do I get her to lay in there?? there are 2 nesting boxes side by side(no divider) for 7 girls...There is shavings and hay in there, its nice and comfy but I watched her go in and out of the coop and behind the log and I think she knowds Im watching her (lmao) because she keeps looking at the house when I look out. How can I put ehr at ease....

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I would put fake eggs (golf balls) in the nest boxes and a rubber snake in her spot behind the log. You could also add an alternative nesting site inside the coop area. Maybe she just has to be different.

3. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    we have the golf balls(plus the other girls lay there, hoping its just because she just started?? I love the rubber snake idea, going to see if the boys have one I can use

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If not, try the $ store!

5. thedeacon

thedeacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Midwest
    I use a grate ( like an old one out of the oven). I put the hen in the nest box and use the grate as a gate. Still appears open to her but keeps her in the nest box until she lays her egg. Usually do this on the weekend when I am home. That way I can let her out once the egg is laid. Usuakky 2-3 days and she is hooked on the nest box

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by