How to get her to stop pecking me?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ForeverFree, Jul 3, 2011.

1. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    York, PA
    I have 12 chickens in all.
    6 Brahmas (including one cockerel), 3 Rhode Island Reds, and 3 Tetra Tints.
    One of the Tetra Tints is very mean. She pecks all of the other chickens, and me.
    It's gotten to the point where I've bled.
    I'm trying to convince my family to get rid of her, but they refuse, because they're not the ones getting pecked.
    I'm very frustrated about this, what do I do?

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Your not going to like this answer.., but I would eat her in stew.

3. ForeverFree

Jun 26, 2011
    York, PA
    Quote:I thought about that as well, but, my family is very loving of our animals, even though she hurts me every time I walk in the pen.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The next time she pecks you place your hands on her back and force her to the ground gently but firmly. You may have to restrain her head with one hand. Force her into submission until she stops struggling, hold her there for a while, then release her. She has to learn that you are boss not just part of the pecking order. I find it interesting that this is the second thread I have read where someone was dealing with overly aggressive Tetra tints. Good luck in modifying her behavior.

5. ForeverFree

Jun 26, 2011
    York, PA
    Quote:Thank you! I will try that, but won't that scare the other chickens as well?
    All the others love me.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Try to carry the "behavior modification" out in a calm, non hurried manner. If she starts "alarm calling" it may initially scare the others, but they should adjust if you do things in a calm fashion.

7. ForeverFree

Jun 26, 2011
    York, PA
    Okay, thank you!

8. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Tennessee Plateau
    Quote:Ditto

9. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    I aggree with the above or just flick her in the head really quick, that usually does the trick, kind of like you pecking her back! Good luck, just show her who is boss! SHOW NO MERCY!!! hehehe [​IMG]

10. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:I thought about that as well, but, my family is very loving of our animals, even though she hurts me every time I walk in the pen.

I'm very loving of my animals too, but I got them for a reason (food).
    Side note: I have one chicken that pecks at me, but not all the time. I finally figured out that it was only when I wore my crocs in the pen--they have a little green decoration attachment that she cant resist!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by