How to get him to eat?(rouen duckling.)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rooster brandon., Jan 26, 2011.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Ok he is dried and moved to the brooder and he acts like a duck toward water including drinking it he has tried foood but it was to big and he shook his head so i crunched it a little but how do i get him to eat do i just wait oh and he wants out so bad.......Any tips would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Why is the food to big. Have you given him crumble. You might have to spend some time with him if he is alone, put some food in your hand and hold him to see if he will take some from you. Did you give him a teddy buddy to cuddle to, try a mirror so he sees himself and doesnt think hes alone

3. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    He is alone he was the only one to hatch figures everyone else was ready to hatched but died for some unknown reason. But back on the duckling i thought everone said you shouldn't really handle them when there little,but any ways he really wants to be with me so should i hold him and try to feed him i have the fealing he just wants to cuddle in my hands he is running around a little clumsy but he is doing good can i wet the food a little like oatmeal to make it softer! I just know with 1 duck theres a slim chance but... Oh and he is on crumble but he just tries the big chunks there a little to big.......

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    They usually don't eat much or any in their first day. You can handle him, but very gently and in moderation.[​IMG]

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I held my chicks and duckies all I wanted.

6. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    See that what worrys me ok on day 28 when they where ready to hatch nothing happened but i noticed a small hole at the wrong end so day 29 he crushed some egg shell but still same small hole in membrane so on day 30 i helped i ripped just a little membrane and he did the rest he grabbed ahold on the piece i ripped and pulled and made a bigger whole then he came out! So in the morning i put him in the brooder so i dont know if he stayed in there an extra day or what but he is real strong and healthy.

7. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

and you KNOW that YOU are his momma now, right?
    I handle my chicks when I want, from the start... gently of course, and in the warm bathroom where the brooder is...
    but, their momma's would carry them on their backs, under their wings, and sit on them at this age, so, you won't hurt him!
    he wants his Mommy!!! don't deny him or he might turn out to have antisocial behaviors! :)
    (that's my story and I'm sticking to it...)

8. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Yeah i accepted that when i set the eggs in the bator...... [​IMG]

9. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    But now he knows where the water is and every now and then i see him eat a little piece of food.........

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  10. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    He chips loudly looking and he really wants to be out with me what do i do he chips for me should i get him out and cuddle or leave him in the brooder chipping?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by