How to get in the christmas spirit?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Dec 19, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    My family just isn't in the christmas spirit this year... Any ideas on how to get in it? The house is decorated, tree is up but still non of us is in the christmas spirit. Any idea how to help us get in it?

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Be together. In the end, it's not the stuff and the decor that makes Christmas... it's family and cheer and laughter. It's the season of hope and love. So, play a few jokes, decorate some cookies together, maybe volunteer at a Soup kitchen together. Be a family. [​IMG]

3. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Make a fire, wheather it is outside or inside. Roast marshmellows. Play charades. Make cookies, bread, cake, or whatever. Make breakfast for eachother. [​IMG]

4. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Christmas carols are the best way to get into the Holiday spirit. [​IMG]
    Quote:

5. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Just being together, reflecting on a challenging year that we mastered together, thinking of the things that brought us further ahead this yearÂ…it all gets us into the mood.

6. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Find some way to help someone out.

It can be any way at all... a needed gift... time especially... help them do something they can't... whatever it is, do it as a family... and you'll be feeling Christmas before you know it [​IMG]

7. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    Quote:You beat me to it!
    -- a dollar in the Salvation Army's 'red kettle' --
    -- leave an anonymous gift or card for a neighbor --
    -- send a 'thank-you' note to someone 'just for being a friend'
    -- make fudge(!) -- and share it around --

8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:You beat me to it!
    -- a dollar in the Salvation Army's 'red kettle' --
    -- leave an anonymous gift or card for a neighbor --
    -- send a 'thank-you' note to someone 'just for being a friend'
    -- make fudge(!) -- and share it around --

As I type this my wheels in my head are turning. Next time I see one of those red kettles, I am adding a buck. I am also going to send a christmas card and knit something (haven't decided what yet) to an old neighbor who has since moved a few towns over. I am also thinking about baking something-- maybe cookies. I have never made fudge before.
    Thank you all for the input thus far! [​IMG]

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Volunteer the entire family to work at the local soup kitchen or Meal on Wheels. I remember the year the hubby loaned a 4x4 SUV and me to Meals on Wheels on a day we had a foot of snow on the ground which is a very rare occurrence in South Carolina and many people forget foul weather driving etiquette. Let me tell you there were some happy folks to see their only source of food arrive that day. Bless their hearts, some tried to give me money for coming out in such weather. Of course I refused and went on my merry way!

10. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Bake cookies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by