How to get into breeding Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Laurissa, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Laurissa

Laurissa Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2014
    North Dakota
    I would love too learn all I can about breeding Chickens! I'm interested in what breeders look for a Roo and hen . What catches a breeders eye when they're looking at chickens. I am at the very beginning stages here, and for now I'd like to learn what is needed to get started (outside of having a hen and a rooster ;)) My passion is there, my knowledge is not. I would also like to learn about what it takes to breed for egg colors. I LOVE COLORED EGGS! I love the different breeds that have their own egg colors. I love beautiful chickens! I'm excited to see if anyone has any advice or tips for a beginner like me. Thank you so much for reading my post! How you all have a wonderful day!!

2. Rocky64

Rocky64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    First, let me welcome you to BYC, there's lots of people here with tons of info. About your question about what people look for in chickens, it has a lot to do with the breed of chicken. Like how single combs on silkies is a fault. I don't know much about egg color genetics, so maybe someone can enlighten both of us.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Since you love colored eggs, it's much simpler to just start with the various types that lay them. Marans for dark brown. Easter eggers for pastel colors, Olive eggers -as the name implies., there is also a breed known for blue eggs but the names escapes me.

4. Laurissa

Oct 14, 2014
    North Dakota
    Thank you for the welcome!! I am very interested in egg genetics! Who does one carry the egg color, what happens when mixing two breeds that have different colored eggs?? Ahh so many questions :D

5. Rocky64

Rocky64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    I've heard that the rooster carries most of the egg-color genes, as well as the laying-ability gene, but I could be mistaken.

6. Laurissa

Oct 14, 2014
    North Dakota
    Yes, I love all the chickens you've just mentioned! I have Ameraucanas, 2 I've raised as chicks, and 3 I adopted. My 2 and the adopted 3 I adopted lay different colors. My original 2 lay blue, the other 3 lay an off white green, a green (not really olive, though) and a blue green. I have barred rocks that lay thier own color brown. I have a Buff Orpington, a light brown/tan. I'm excited, I've just ordered some new babies, they'll be here tomorrow! But I have 2 or 3 different Marans coming. Fingers crossed I get lucky and they lay the more darker brown.

7. Laurissa

Oct 14, 2014
    North Dakota
    Oooh! Ok! That's good to know! I think "someday" I would like to be able to sell fertile eggs, and chicks. Ask though that's probably way down the road

8. Laurissa

Oct 14, 2014
    North Dakota
    I am very interested in Marans! Not only do they have beautiful eggs, they are a great multi purpose bird. Which is great, you always have a stinker in the bunch. Which works for filing the freezer

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  10. AlwaysForever

AlwaysForever Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    We just got our first chicks about a month ago and our lovinG it. Since we were new we did a little research then got a few of each we liked never intending to breed, but now... It is a fun idea. Now we just have to decide if we want to go that route and which breed. Best of luck to you and I hope it goes well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by