How to get kitten used to chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LabMama, May 16, 2011.

1. LabMama

LabMama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    The sticks, VA
    Ok I dunno if I put this in the right topic & I know its about kittens hope yall dont mind!!!!.... we have 8 chicks & 1 rooster I am getting a 4 week old kitten today. can anyone give me any tips on how to teach the kitten that chickens are off limits? we let our chickens free range also.

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    introduce the kitten to the chicks - but do not leave her alone with them - chicks are too small to defend themselves.

Adult chickens will have no trouble with an adult cat. Cats know they can't take on a crazy hen.

Just like training a dog - correct the kitten if she does anything you dont like.

3. alhanse77

alhanse77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Rexburg, ID
    We have a cat that is the same age as the chickens (1 yo.) We waited until the kitten was a few months old before letting him out with the chickens. He thought the chickens were pretty awesome to stalk, but the managed just fine to get out of his way. We always supervised them together. Now that the chickens and cat are full grown, they stay out of each others way. The cat has been pecked a few times so I think he is more afraid of the chickens! [​IMG] That said, we do not have any roosters so I am not sure how a rooster would behave.

4. LabMama

LabMama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    The sticks, VA
    thanks you guys so much. Im gonig to try to introduce her tommorow, she is only 4 weeks so she will probably be scared of them now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by