How to get my 7-week olds to eat non-factory food?

Sarah B.

Chirping
Jul 12, 2017
Iceland
So I have three 6 and 1/2-week old chicks that won't eat fruits, vegetables or anything that's not their standard factory chick food. And, no, don't say I should have given them earlier because I did. When they were three weeks old I tried to offer them fruits and jogurt. They didn't look at it, well after I forced them to. Since I've offered them various fruits. One time I mixed banana's with their manufactured food but they just kicked the box to the side and picked around the bananas.

I'm just wondering if there's some 'special' technique to get them to eat non-factory food.

If it helps I have one Icelandic pullet (Ruby) one Icelandic cockerel (Cleo) and one EE pullet (Thora).

Do they have crumble available to them all the time? If so, you might take it away at night, offer the new treats in the morning, then give them their crumble mid morning. But, really, I'd not push it. They are getting what they need from their crumble. By pushing the "treats", even if they are healthy fruits and veggies, you are watering down their protein. If they don't get enough protein, you may see feather picking, even to the point of blood letting, and they won't grow as well.

Do they have crumble available to them all the time? If so, you might take it away at night, offer the new treats in the morning, then give them their crumble mid morning. But, really, I'd not push it. They are getting what they need from their crumble. By pushing the "treats", even if they are healthy fruits and veggies, you are watering down their protein. If they don't get enough protein, you may see feather picking, even to the point of blood letting, and they won't grow as well.

Thanks. Ok, yeah, I'll try that. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom