1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to get my chick to eat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kara_leigh, Jun 7, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    It was suggested to me to try to feed my chick some mashed up broccoli for Vit A. How the heck do you get a tiny chick to eat it?? I can't get it to open its mouth so I can't get anything in. Any suggestions? (at the moment I have the chick cuddled up under my boob, wrapped up snug in the folds of my tshirt and it seems happy, it just complains when I talk haha!)

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

How old is the chick?

I'd mash the cooked broccoli up and mix it with chick starter feed, like a special oatmeal. And just leave it for the chick to eat. Why was Vit A specifically suggested, is the chick sick?

3. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    It is 2 weeks old. It has been lethargic, and today it was uncoordinated and trembling, so Celtic Chick said that usually indicated a lack of Vit A and E and gave me a list of foods, but the only one we have is broccoli. I had another chick die last Thurs, so I'm trying my best to keep this one from dying also. [​IMG]

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:what is their normal food? Maybe you should get a fresh bag?

Probably easier than trying to get them to try new things (coz they're afraid of new stuff) would be to put some vitamins in their water. Poly-Vi-Sol no-iron liquid pediatric vitamins are usually recommended on here. 3 drops per 1/4 cup of water is what I was told.

5. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    We just got new food on Monday b/c we were out.

I've been giving it Poly-vi-sol since last Wed, one drop a day in its mouth.

6. ShanCarl1971

ShanCarl1971 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    I had one that was lethargic and didn't want to eat. I gave it small mealworms ....one at a time, about every thirty minutes..... took a while for it to eat the first one, but once it got a taste, oh boy! I think the wiggling was more than the baby could resist. Once she started eating the mealworms, she got up and moving, little by little , and started eating and drinking. The extra protein is good to get them up and going. I figured I had nothing to lose at that point. Once the appetite was stimulated, then I started adding the "extra" stuff to boost nutrtion.

7. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Thanks for all of the advice, but the chick died while we were sleeping last night. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by