How to get my chickens to use their roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 5lovelyhens, Mar 3, 2016.

1. 5lovelyhens

5lovelyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    My chickens are about 6 months old. We have a roost in their coop, but they don't seem to know what it is. There's these small wooden planks on the floor of the coop that they use to roost, but then when they poo, it gets stuck on them. I put them on the higher one, but they jump off. Is there a way to get them to stay?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Go in after dark and put them on the roosts then shut the light out so they stay there. Otherwise go in during the day and put them up there so they get the idea.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

What are you using for roosting poles and how high are they? If roosts are uncomfortable to sit on all night or too hard to get up to they will sleep elsewhere.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Pics of your coop and roosts would help.
    How many birds do you have?

5. 5lovelyhens

Mar 29, 2015
    It's a wooden bar. My four older girls love theirs, but my two young ones don't. Maybe if I lower it?

6. 5lovelyhens

Mar 29, 2015
    And I'll put a picture tomorrow

7. 5lovelyhens

Mar 29, 2015
    And I'll put them on it tomorrow night at dark.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How much younger?
    The olders may not be letting the youngers up there.

1 person likes this.
  9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

How many chickens and how much roost space? If roost space is tight the older birds will definitely keep the younger birds off.
    Make sure your roosts aren't too narrow, a 2x4 with the wide side up is good for standard size birds. Sitting on something narrow all night can lead to sore feet.

10. 5lovelyhens

Mar 29, 2015
    They are in 2 separate coops. My 4 older girls are in one and my 2 little girls are in the other. I do use something not too narrow. I think it might be too close to the ceiling, and they just don't think they could get on it. I think I'll try lowering it and maybe putting them on it so they get it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by