How to get my ducks to go to their coop on their own?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 18angovem, Aug 18, 2014.

1. 18angovem

18angovem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Hi, I have 6 call ducks and would like to get an automatic chicken door so when we live for vacation or just visiting relatives the ducks dont have to stay in the coop they can stay out side during the day. but the problem with that is that my ducks dont always go to the coop when it is dark, we have been out late and came back at 11:30 to find 6 ducks still swimming in their pond in the pitch darkness. I would just let them stay out but we have a predator problem on our property. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    To be honest, that's kind of a lofty goal...you can't just go on vacation and leave your ducks alone without any supervision at all. They can be trained to go into the coop at night and often they'll go in there without you helping them, but as you can see that's not always gonna be the case. :p

I'm not saying you can't ever leave your house, but getting a petsitter is key. Considering you have a predator problem, I think it's the most responsible thing to do if you know you're going to be out late.

3. 18angovem

18angovem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Oh my neighbor (who is also my uncle checks on them twice a day. but he doesnt always get their early to let them out before like noon and sometimes can put them in until 10 or 11 but i should have said that earlier. I guess he could make sure that they all went in..... My other problem is that right now we have a duck who is an outsider as we call it. she is alot smaller than the rest of the calls (she fits in one hand) and if they are in the coop for more than 12 hrs things can get a little rough but because they have a large run she can kinda get away from the bullies (only 3 of them bully her but that is the majority). So they kinda have to go out during the day. If you have any ideas on that I would be greatfull as well.

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Oh no! Poor thing...I have a teeny call so my heart goes out to her. :(

That's good about your uncle, he's a real stand-up guy for doing that! Hmm. I know physically placing them in the coop for several nights with treats incentivizes them to go in at night. But it requires patience. Also, ducks are stubborn. :p TBH I've never heard of an "automatic coop", but it sure sounds interesting.

As for the bullied runt, have you considered bringing her into the house? Or does she cry when she's separated from the others?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by