How to get my girls to go into the coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MotoChicken, Sep 9, 2010.

1. MotoChicken

MotoChicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Long Beach
    My 2 young chickens have been in there coop for now 4 weeks and do not go into their coop at night unless I put them both in there by hand and lock them in.

They huddle in a corner of the run everynight

I have food and water?

I even put food up the steps to the coop?

I have a light but have not turned it on, I am in Long Beach CA so it is not that cold so have not used it.

Does anyone have ideas?

Here is a video of my home built coop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbNJmP_p3jo

is the door openning to small?

Thanks Jerry

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    mmm...... not sure! I would have suggested what you've already done by placing them in there every night. Usually they get the hang of it after a couple of night. You might need to leave them completly closed in the coop for a few days so they can totally get acclimated with their surroundings.

Maybe someone can step in and help you better. I don't have an enclosed coop so the only problems I had to deal with was getting them on the roost at night!!

BTW [​IMG]

Missi

3. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Wow, nice set up! [​IMG]

To get them to roost:

I agree that you may have to lock them in the coop a day or so until they feel that it is home. But there are a couple things I think might help.
    1. Use a 2x4 flat side up as the roost instead of the dowels that you have, chickens do not grip the roost with their feet, they prefer to have their feet flat and sit on them to keep their feet warm with their feathers. They will have an increasingly difficult time balancing on a small roost as they get bigger. They should want to roost on the highest possible spot, several of mine did not sleep on a roost until they were 8 weeks old or so, yours look like they might be young.
    2. You could make the ramp longer so it is not quite so steep. I have no experience using a steep ramp but have never seen one as steep as yours. They might not like it. Maybe you could try a more tempting treat to get them up the ramp, like meal worms.

Your coop/run looks amazing! Very nice work. I have just a few comments.

1. Your ventilation will not be big enough for 6 chickens, they should get about 12 sq inches/bird to disperse ammonia fumes.
    2. The roosting space will not be big enough for 6 chickens (4 sq ft/ bird of inside space and 10 sq ft/bird of outside space) this prevents fighting among the birds which will happen when you add new birds.
    3. I'd recommend covering the nails that hold the 1x1 wire in place with 1x2 boards so that no predator can rip the wire off the frame.

Good luck and enjoy your chickens!

[​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is there a window in the coop? Chickens are reluctant to enter a dark place. Maybe it gets dark in the coop before they are ready to go to bed. Try putting the light on- not for warmth but just to make them feel more secure. You could then turn the light off when they are on their roost.

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:That sound good to me. And the roost thing mine wouldn't roost on bamboo inside the coop but would outside.
    I was wondering why people use ramp to get into the coop instead of just a roost outside the door.

6. rainierlass

rainierlass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    I agree on the 2X4's for the roost with the wide side up - - they are not 'grasping' type birds they would rather lay on it - -

and a longer ramp - not as steep - - mine grew up in a closed coop from 3 weeks to 5 weeks
    so have had no issues with them going back in at nite - you might try the lamp on for a bit but mine head in long before dark.

Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by