1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to get NPIP

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by dandydoodle, Nov 8, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    How do I go about NPIP certified?

Thanks,
    Michelle

2. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    This is not State Specific but Deptment of Ag is the best place to start

3. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    thanks

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Google NPIP and the name of your state and you will find who to contact. It's a federal program but each state runs it independently and has their own way of doing it.

Basically, you get the NPIP tester out to blood test your birds and swab your incubators. Normally it is a very small charge, or maybe even free in some states. Then there is some very simple paperwork required when selling and shipping. Very simple, don't be put off by it. You'll get directions that explain what they want done.

You'll have to maintain bio-security, but you should be doing that anyway. It gives you an excellent excuse to not allow strangers to tromp around your birds.

Then, you renew once a year.

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    That's true , nothing much to it, and I can tell you now, you'll pass. My guy said it's been decades since GA had a case of it.

Here's the Georgia NPIP e-mail address to request a test

[email protected]

here's the USDA APHIS site where you can read up on it.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/

Here in GA there is only 1 state tester, but they have many private folks in local areas who are also certified to test you birds, my guy just lives around the corner and is a member here as well.

The fee is usually 35 cent per bird for P/T testing which is all that is required to be certified.

HOWEVER, they can also test for many other disease, AI, MG and MS are the most commonly done ones. These are by blood work per bird, maximum of 30 birds per flock.
    These test are NOT required to be certified, BUT now a days 75% of the states require State Import license to receive any poultry product from out of state sources. Many of the require these test be done in order for you to receive your import permit for that state.

There are 2 states, no matter how hard you try that you will never be able to legally ship into due to these laws, HW and Virginia. Hawaii, I can see...but Virginia's laws are just absurd. You have to have ALL the test, I think none older than 30 days, and vet health certificate of the entire flock, and the state import permit...all this even for eggs. So your NPIP test from last month, well they arent any good to them any more.

Most all the other states are fairly lenient though, just be sure to be certified, and ask the NPIP folks to send you the list of state requirements so you can get all the import permits.

Funny thing, I never knew all this, had shipped for years, once I got certified and started putting my number on everything like you are supposed to do, that's when I started getting all these state letters saying we require import permits for you to do this.

They were all nicely worded (except Virgina, they threaten to lock you up..haha) and all sent the application along with the letter. It's all in all, no big deal...just paper work.

6. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    I just wanted to chime in since I'm from Virginia. Boggy Bottom Bantams is correct when he says Virginia is pretty crazy when it comes to poultry. Heck, Virginia is weird on a lot of stuff. Because of the required testing we can't even get chicks from some hatcheries like Cackle. But after talking to the NPIP state agency in Richmond recently I was told that in January the requirement for the one test that kills most people shipping here will be eliminated. Daggone, the illness the test is for went right out of my head, but BBB can tell you which one it is. Myagnocromdifinaliabullfinchilla or something. [​IMG] You will still need to be NPIP, and probably have to check of influenza, but that will be it.

One thing that is good here is that a person can become an NPIP tester and test his/her own flock. Classes will be given in the spring at various places in the state, and I plan to attend one myself. Then I can test my own flock and do so for others in my area if needed.

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    It's the MG, macroplasma gallspeticum, I believe is how it's spelled out. I had heard they were working on removing it, BUT the T/P and AI still stay, and have to be done every month, want to say less than a month on the Avian Influenza. Plus vet health certificates. The requirements as a whole arent too bad, it's the frequencey they require.
    Like in my case, It would cost me $200 or better every month just to stay up on what they want tested for, just to be allowed a few shippments a year into the state. This isnt counting the Vet fees for the health certificate.

I can see needing to be tested and clean, but every other state is once annually

8. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    I agree with you, Boggy. I realize there is a need for safety, but there isn't any sense in having to put that much time and money into testing for any reason. Maybe things will get even better as time goes on. It is the little chicken farmer who suffers most when things are made more stringent. Perhaps that could be part of the reason behind some of it. Big business hates seeing some little guy make a few bucks for himself. But that is another issue. [​IMG]

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    yep I agree. I have spoken to the powers that be in Virgina about this, most of them even agree that it is a bit much. and have told me though that the only wy it will ever change is for the people of Virgina to speak their minds about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by