How to get Pieds

Wisher1000

Bama Biddy
13 Years
Mar 31, 2010
Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
I had one peafowl egg hatch on August 28th (some of you may remember me.) It is a beautiful white pea but I have no idea about it's gender. What I want to know is how is the surest way to get those beautiful, predominantly white, pieds? I realize I will have to wait until I know the gender to choose a mate for it and I am patiently waiting. I just want to hear your opinions on the variety (color) that would best compliment the white and have the best chance of giving me a mostly white pied bird. I love the ones whose body is mostly white, the head and neck has some color (green or blue) and the saddle area and tail are colored or contain splashes of white.

I also want to know if the white is rare or valuable. The parent stock of this chick were IB colored birds that both had one white flight feather but showed no other white. Do I have something special, or are they fairly common?

BTW Happy Thanksgiving!

Choose a pied mate for your Pea with lots of white like you want.

White is not rare in my area , i have 7 of them but some folks charge twice as much for them telling folks they are rare,maybe some places are rare but not in the sense that they are going extinct.

Choose a pied mate for your Pea with lots of white like you want.

White is not rare in my area , i have 7 of them but some folks charge twice as much for them telling folks they are rare,maybe some places are rare but not in the sense that they are going extinct.

Those are some beautiful birds you have Zazouse! I love the white peas. I've never seen them in my area so I'd say that they might be pretty rare up here.

When i purchased my first babies i just wanted the IB in color but one white was left so they gave her to me, she ended up being my fav.. i lost her to a sinus infection, one that had no outward symptoms . so over the last 2 years i purchased some more babies in white.

I agree, Haunted, those are some beautiful birds.

Zazoose, thanks for the info. It is as I suspected, white is only rare because rare is more profitable. Personally, what fascinates me about peas is the mesmerizingly vibrant colors. I much prefer the azure and cobalt, emerald and copper of the IB's, to the whites, cameos, or any other less intensely colored birds. The owner of the parent birds really loves this white. I told her she could have it although we had a deal that if it is a male, I would keep it and if it is a female, it would be hers. Since then, her male died, and it really wouldn't bother me for her to take it. I think she believes she would be taking advantage of my good nature, but the fact is, I would rather have a pied! I have intentionally distanced myself so that if I had to give it up, I would not be too attached.

Where would be the best place to get hatching eggs for the pieds (like I want)? How well do pea eggs ship? What is the usual ratio of IB, white, pied and/or other varieties from a mating of (or for) pieds? Not looking for hard and fast numbers, just a general idea.

Last edited:
I love the cameo color now that i have one, i love the warm tones in the coloring, i wished i had more of them but looks like she will be my only one as i am not adding anymore.

I love the cameo color now that i have one, i love the warm tones in the coloring, i wished i had more of them but looks like she will be my only one as i am not adding anymore.

STOP IT!!!!!! Lol! I am not allowed to have anymore birds right now. She is gorgeous!!! [drool, drool, wipe the drool.] Someday.......

White pea's are semi rare here in eastern NC and India Blues and Black Shoulders are a dime a dozen, we have the only high % spaulding in the area so everybody wants them. The only thing I don't like about the whites is they are hard to sex them.

Wisher, we haven't had much luck with shipped pea eggs in the past but have always done great with shipped pea chicks. If you are impatient like me you can even have adult birds shipped but the shipping cost is high.

I'm with you, I absolutely love the reverse pieds (thats what we call high percentage pieds here in Oz) I have a few pieds but by far my fave is a young pied male who is bred from reverse pied parents, has alot of white but not enough to be classed as a reverse.

Back
Top Bottom