how to get rid of bats?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by guenther, Apr 7, 2011.

1. guenther

guenther New Egg

Apr 4, 2011
    My wife and I are fixing up our barn - it used to have chickens and other livestock years ago, before we bought the place. We noticed though, that there are bats living in the barn some right over the area where we are planning on keeping the chickens. Any ideas on getting rid of them?

thanks

guenther

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Why would you want to? Bats are very beneficial and can eat their weight in mosquitos. If they don't just creep you out, I would keep them around. They are quite harmless. Unless there are 100s of them and you don't want the guano around......

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Just think of them as bug control.

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Lucky you to have bats. They eat a bazillion mosquites each night, can't think of better bug control. They wont bother you, and they are so cool to watch at dusk.

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    DO NOT HANDLE OR KICK UP ANY OF THE GUANO Histoplasmosis a very real threat

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/hi97146.html

I kina like bats just because of the skeeters they get rid of them and purple martins

6. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

Bats are in trouble right now. They're dying off left and right. I would leave them.

7. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    They are great bug control. I was thinking about putting up bat houses for them here. You are lucky. [​IMG]

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Did you actually READ that article? If so, you'd know that birds and poultry carry it also, so DONT HANDLE OR PICK UP CHICKEN POOP.

Right...

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    They are tough to keep out of an area once they have used it--they can squeeze through really tight openings. As suggested above you might want to put up a few bat houses and that may lure them away, otherwise just put some sort of flooring under where they live to contain their droppings and be glad you have them. BTW, in many states they are very protected so do not try to eliminate them by killing.

10. Bi0s

Bi0s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Bland County VA!!!!!
    they are very easy to remove

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by