how to get rid of congestion

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kharlex85, Nov 27, 2013.

1. kharlex85

kharlex85 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2012
    my chicken was treated for the past two weeks with Tylan 50 for wheezing noices coughing sneezing and a lot of congestion she seemed to improve a little bit because she had a swollen eye and its noW goodbut now she seems to feel bad again and the congestion has gotten worse , I have a Erythromycin 500mg at home in tablet should I try giving her that? if I don't do anything soon she will probably choke with her own mucus.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Two weeks is a week too long with Tylan 50. Were you injecting it?

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Sadly sometimes if the bird has a virus the antibotic will not kill the virus but it will prevent secondary infections from happening. Tylan50 should be used for 5 to7 days maximum. As a injection in the breast muscle. You can try switching antibotics if you like but only use them for correct amount of time specified. You might want to try baytril if you can get it but I'm thinking your bird has a virus and sadly viruses won't respond to antibotics. I went through this very same thing earlier this year and I tried different antibotics including baytril but my birds had a virus and very sadly I lost 4 of them. If you want to try you can switch her to another antibotic geared for respitory illness like baytril but I'm thinking because it didn't respond to the tylan it might be a virus I'm sorry to say. With viruses antibotics will prevent secondary infections but won't touch the virus. The bird has to fight the virus with her own immunities. I really wish you the best and I do hope this information is helpful. Like I said you can try a switch to prevent a secondary condition but sadly if its a virus antibotics won't distroy the virus. I do hope your bird gets well soon. God bless

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Tylan 50 is to be given subcutaneously (under the skin) on the back of the neck, and only .5 cc with a 25 gauge needle. An additional .5 cc can be given in the breast muscle for more severe symptoms besides sneezing, or birds over 5 lbs. What most people do not realize is that Coryza and CRD cannot be treated with the same medications. Coryza signs begin with sneezing, nasal discharge which will then clog the sinuses, then a foul odor. If the chicken stinks, it is Coryza. The disease progresses and discharge becomes cheesy and thick, with facial/eye swelling comparable to Fowl Cholera. If Coryza becomes a problem year after tear, vaccination is recommended.

The best treatment for Coryza is Sulfadimethoxine powder at .5 tsp per gallon for a max of 5 days, or Sulmet (sodium sulfamethazine) at 1 tablespoon per gallon for 7-10 days. When the treatment gets rid of the foul odor, and there is still a throat rattle and runny eyes or nose, it is a secondary symptom, and usually a form of CRD. Medication must be changed at this point. Tylan injections, or chlortetracycline mixed half and half with Gallimycin (Erythromycin) at 1 teaspoon per gallon of water for 14 days are two effective treatments for CRD. With tetracycline water treatments for flocks, it is recommended to add cranberry juice or vitamin C soluble powder since tetracyclines are not easily absorbed in the bird's system. Also sunlight, dairy, calcium, magnesium, and iron will inhibit the absorption of antibiotics like tetracycline. So keep the treated water source out of the sun, and limit those particular foods/ minerals in the diet during treatment.

Always follow up with a good probiotic, vitamin, and mineral soluble powder in the waterers after treatment for 3-5 days.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How were you treating with the Tylan50 (injecting, orally, etc.)? And in what dosage? The correct way to give the injectable version (at least that I've heard, read, and done) is by injection into the breast muscle or another muscular area. The dosage is 1cc for your average (maybe around 5lbs in weight) large-fowl, .5ccs for bantams; you inject once a day for 5 days. Its often recommended to alternate the side of the breast that you inject into, and use a small needle, to avoid making the injection area sore. I haven't used the oral Tylan50, so I'm not sure about that dosage.

Unfortunately, as Realisis stated, antibiotics are ineffective against viral diseases. In cases like that, they will help prevent secondary infections, but the bird will have to fight the disease off on its own. You can help the bird by giving supportive care (vitamins, probiotics, nutritious feed, warmth, etc.) and by minimizing its stress level. But many birds will never recover from a viral disease, and will carry it or show visible symptoms for the rest of their lives. While not pleasing to do, culling is preferable if the bird(s) doesn't recover.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  6. kharlex85

kharlex85 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2012
    She never had a bad smell she is somewhat ok now but when she breathes makes a lot of noise like when someone has bronchitis or as if the lungs were full of mucus and she gasps for air. I gave her the tylan injection 3cc for almost two weeks because I missed a couple of days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by