how to get rid of lice??? i saw them on my chickens today

Hunterlauren93

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 4, 2011
Forest
How to get rid of lice? My chickens have them i noticed them today. I brought a new chicken into the group, gave her a bath, ect. didnt see any bugs on her. but i see them now. What do i need to do to get rid of them asap?

I went to tractor supply today and found some Diatomaceous. 20 LBS for like 10.99. cheeper than most interent sites. Anyways, do i lightly dust them with it? do i put it on their food? What is too much to put on them?

I mixed sevin with DE and dusted each chicken by hand-butt,under wings,and neck. I also put some sevin on the roost bar and into the dusting bath box. Repeat after 7 or so days.

the DE has to be food grade to use on the chickens. I use Iver-on as a preventive measure and put it on them every 4 months and have been very lucky so far, I also put Sevin dust in the coop each time I change the shavings.

I posted this on another request earlier but it is answering your question:

Go a get some Food grade diatomaceous earth and dust your chickens and your pets with it. It will take a couple of times but its organic and non toxic. I use this once a month in the coop as well, dusting down the floor and the laying boxes. This can be used in the food mix also as a parasite killer for the internal bugaboos. The food grade will not harm an any way you or your chickens/animals. It is deadly to the parasites and bugs. Once ingested by the bugs it acts like a piece of glass and cuts them up internally.

Solubenol can be mixed with the water for worms and you can also get some Tetracycline and follow the directions on how many grams per gallon. This has to be done for several days. I do these at the same time and add lemon juices to the water. Also make sure it is there only source for water so you know they are getting the medications.

Quote:
DE is a preventative, not a cure. See the link provided by flockwatcher, above.

Why put them on an antibiotic like Tetracycline when all they have is lice?
idunno.gif
Unecessary use of antibiotics simply leads to future resistance when the antibiotic is actually needed.

Quote:
DE is a preventative, not a cure. See the link provided by flockwatcher, above.

Why put them on an antibiotic like Tetracycline when all they have is lice?
idunno.gif
Unecessary use of antibiotics simply leads to future resistance when the antibiotic is actually needed.

DITTO DITTO DITTO!!

I use Ivermectin Eprinex - it's a bit more than the Iver-on, but it's more effective also. It's a cattle wormer, and it kills internal AND external parasites. Dosgae is .5cc per average sided adult.

Back
Top Bottom