how to get rid of LICE on chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BEEDiAMOND88777, Nov 20, 2015.

1. BEEDiAMOND88777

BEEDiAMOND88777 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2015
    I have one chicken that i cept in the same coop as my turkeys. (they are seperated) and i figer out that my chicken has lice! do my turkeys have lice now? and how do i get rid of it without useing garden dust or cemicel lice killer? i need to know fast! after checking my birds for lice i saw 2 lice on my hands! dose that mean i have lice now? and will bird lice go on other animals?

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Bird lice don't infest people. Do your birds have a dust bath to use? You can make one by using an old kiddy pool, which is what I did so my peafowl would have a dust bath deep enough to use. Actually, our flock has two baths, and most use one or the other. If you don't want to use chemical powder, try wood ashes, from a fireplace or woodburner, mixed with top soil or fine clean dirt, and a little playsand if you have any. I usually throw a little DE in there too to lighten up the soil. If you don't have wood ash, try garden sulfur powder...just make sure it's the powder, and not the pelleted kind. You can get it at most feed stores or garden stores, even this time of year. Sprinkle the powder around their living quarters, also.

3. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Frindizzle has given you a good link, so I will just say Welcome to Backyard chickens, glad you joined the flock

5. BEEDiAMOND88777

Nov 12, 2015
    i would like to have one but its winter and its hard to do that...

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I believe this a double thread.

7. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    You can try poultry protector spray, but it is really more for prevention. You can also try dusting them yourself with insecticide powder, you can get Insectrin at most feed mills. It's pretty safe and probably the best thing to do this time of year.

8. BEEDiAMOND88777

Nov 12, 2015
    ok thx i will try

9. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by