How to get rid of mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WeNeedDrPhil, Aug 25, 2016.

1. WeNeedDrPhil

WeNeedDrPhil Just Hatched

Aug 14, 2016
    My rooster and a few others I think have a mild-severe infestation of mites.I may be exaggerating by using infested but there's a lot ranging from big small long short red and gray .My mom tried soaking them in a tea like water with leafs and then spraying some "medicine" that she bought. The spray disoriented and made the chickens nauseous while it KILLED all of out ducklings.Add insult to injury it didn't even kill the mites.So medicine is out as a solution. They have multiple dusting grounds but they don't use them. My broody duck sometimes comes out just to itch herself before returning.They are also all over their house, especially where they sleep (We have some steps leading to planks where they like to sleep). Help is appreciated. :>

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    So sorry about your ducklings... most treatments for mites or lice should never be used on chicks or ducklings... babies should be very carefully hand washed in warm water and blow dried on low...

As for the adults, I've found Ivermectin/Ivomec Pour On to be very effective and not noxious for the birds... it's simply a couple drops on their skin and is absorbed quickly...

3. WeNeedDrPhil

WeNeedDrPhil Just Hatched

Aug 14, 2016
    Thanks for the response! While I whould like to use proper meds...
    They cost 10 to 30 bucks from where I am
    The nearest pet store is a few dozen kilometers away (We have a car but not over atm)
    She's always gonna find an excuse not to spend money (Heck I couldn't convince her to feed oatmeal and yoghurt to our chickens for protein.She said the bread has protein.)
    I was thinking of a diy/homemade solution.

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Bread has absolutely no protein and if they eat too much can impact their crops so they can't digest food... better to feed their eggs back to them to give extra protein...

Unfortunately, mites are extremely hard to eradicate... and I don't know of any effective home remedies... :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by