How to get rid of mold?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Drivegirl54, May 19, 2009.

1. Drivegirl54

Drivegirl54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Winder, GA
    We've had some patches of white mold sprout up in the coop and run because of all the rain lately. I know it's very, very bad for the girls and I'm trying to find out how to get rid of it. We can't get food grade DE here but we can get Stall Dry and PDZ. Will that help, or do I need something else?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Mold, humidity, in Ga. that's gonna be tough. I guess you would need to start with cleaning up the mold with something like bleach.(Make sure it is completely disapated before putting the chickens back in the coop. Then anything that would help keep the coop dry would help. I'm not familiar with Stall Dry or PDZ, but they sound like good ideas. Also more ventilation and sunlight would help. Can you open it up? Install a fan? There are paints and primers that are supposed to kill the mold spores. Good luck.

Imp

3. Drivegirl54

Drivegirl54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Winder, GA
    We cant air it out anymore than it is but we're considering moving the whole coop to a completely sunny part of the yard and closing in the windows. I think I will go out there tomorrow and put some sort of fan up in there after I scrub it down. Thanks!!!

4. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Physically remove as much as possible first. Then, a sodium hypochlorite solution will utterly destroy it. I use "chlorox cleanup" because it is at a reasonable concentration with enough surfactants to promote retention on surfaces to aid in better absorption by the remaining fungal mass and the infected materials surrounding it. The concentration is not so high that an unreasonable dissipation time is required. A fan to aid in circulation should have it cleared enough for the chickens to return in a few hours.

If this gets to be a constant problem, I'd adjust circulation through the areas. You might even want removable floor sections so you can clean them well.

Magicbubble likes this.
  5. JeepersCreepers

JeepersCreepers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I have had some success on test spots recently for mold using a water, vinegar, and dawn solution with lavender oil. I will be scrubbing down my whole coop tomorrow.

Magicbubble likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by