How to get rid of Mr. Roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tsossamon, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Tsossamon

Tsossamon Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2012
    We have had Mr. Roo for over a year now and my daughter has finally saw the light that we are not a Rooster type of family . Our three hens have a little to say about that, as when we separate them the girls go nuts. From what I have read as their acting protector this is normal behavior. I however really need to move him to a new home. As gentle as he is , he overly mates one of females and has caused some damage to her with his spurs. So personal opinions welcomed on how I can take him away without my girls loosing their minds is welcomed.
    Thanks
    T

2. WildBilly

WildBilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2013
    you could buy 5 more hens so he has more hens to mate with[​IMG], or you can buy or make chickens saddles.
    http://www.hensaver.com

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Tsossamon

May 16, 2012
    Thats a neat idea but I honestly want to rid my house of him , hes a big guy and though he forages through the yard most the day he eats his fill of grain. I also want to protect my and my neighbors garden this spring so that means more time in the coop and run for all of them.

4. WildBilly

Feb 4, 2013
    put a stuffed animal toy fake rooster that looks like yours so the hen's think he's still there. LOL[​IMG]

5. Tsossamon

May 16, 2012
    That's going to have to be a very large stuffed rooster. I wonder if I can find one lol

6. WildBilly

Feb 4, 2013
    the rooster decoy was just a joke but an idea lol,without any fake or real rooster I think the hens would get used to being without their rooster after awhile, i heard that the most dominant hen will actually start to act like the rooster.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  7. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Chickens adapt to a missing flock mate pretty quick. There will be a shuffle in the pecking order and then it will be like he was never there.

1 person likes this.
  8. Tsossamon

May 16, 2012
    The silly girls try to squeeze through their fence run because its garden/cattle fence so they can get their little heads through. I might just have to confine them to the coop that has chicken wire so the looney things will not break their necks trying to get out to look for him. I knew the stuffed rooster was a joke but it might help my daughter cope with getting rid of him. She has hand kept him since he came to live with us. He smacked her in the face today and it made her mad so she said get rid of him. Poor kid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by