How to get rid of or capture chickens

Higap

Hatching
Jul 4, 2020
Hello,

I have a problem with feral chickens and I’m trying to find ways to get rid of them. Capture with something I build and throw away? Capture and sell them? Capture with something I build and breed for eggs? I could probably catch 50 per day without really trying and if I did that for a few weeks I’m guessing I would make a dent in the population, but it’s tough to tell. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Baiting them in with feed would be an easy way. What do I do with them after that tho? There are thousands and thousands of them.

I could see how chickens might do extremely well there, and breed prolifically if they're free to do so.... is there maybe a rescue group that you could call in? If there as over populated as you say you might not be able to rehome them after catching them, catching and keeping them to harvest meat and eggs though.... that might be possible

I saw a show once where this was the case in a Florida city. They had a special group of catchers who spent their day catching chickens and looking for their nests. No kidding! The city paid them to capture feral chickens. I believe it was the show Dirty Jobs. They used big nets to grab them. For the life of me I cant remember what they did with them. But maybe it's something you can google.

Back
Top Bottom