How to get rid of roosters?

J&Kfeatheredfowl

Songster
Oct 7, 2017
Mansfield
It sucks right..? When you hatch a chick and it turns out to be a male.

Well it's never happened to me, until now. And I have no idea what to do with the boy.

What do people usually do? Sell them? Eat them? Give them to the pheasants?

Somebody help me please!

th00.jpg

Unless they are a quality show bird or someone needs a flock protector, mine end up in this....or a similar device.

then you're either going to need to make your peace with having a rooster or sell him.

Good luck with that latter part. You will do well to give him away I think and not worry too much about what someone else is going to do with him. Personally I find that it is better to know that he had a good life and quick death at my own hand than goodness knows what with someone else. I feel that is my responsibility when I have raised him from a chick.
I want to know how you have managed not to raise any male chicks before now??

I put my unwanted boys in my local newspaper under livestock offered for free though, if yours is a desired breed you could possibly sell it. I was desperate to get rid of him (had 3 boys for 12 girls). You could also try craigslist too. The farmer I gave my cockerel to said he checks craigslist and newspapers daily for people giving away birds. It's how he builds up his flock.

Agreed with Rebra. I would also add this: one shouldn't be hatching chicks at all unless they have an ethical exit plan for any unwanted cockerels and any deformed chicks. This is a case of the harsh realities of chicken keeping meeting the cute and fun factor of chicken keeping. I offer extra cockerels for free to my customers who buy my pullets. (never had a taker) and offer cockerels locally to any folks who want a cockerel which is intended to become a member of their flock. Otherwise, I raise them, eat them, and cull them.

Back
Top Bottom